ircm module

Brianas

Hello all- few?'s
for 90 tbird sc 5spd

where is this located?
what exactly does this do ?
what are symptoms of a bad one?
where to find and rough price of new one?

I ask these questions as I still have a idle /driveability issue
I have gone thru many things thus far --but I have noticed
that the ac and compressor seem to only work sporadically

thanks
Josh

Brianas said:
where is this located?
Its on the radiator wall right in front of the air cleaner.
Brianas said:
what exactly does this do ?
Its a box that houses about 1/2 dozen important relays that turn on/off the 2 speed radiator fan, fuel pump, A/C compressor, and EEC power.
Brianas said:
what are symptoms of a bad one?
Some of those things might be erratic or not work at all.. usually its the fan that starts having problems, but the fuel pump could cut out or not turn on.
Brianas said:
where to find and rough price of new one?
Get a used one from any of the sellers here. I keep a spare; think I paid $30ish for it... but that was part of a package. New ones are pricey.
Brianas said:
I ask these questions as I still have a idle /driveability issue
I have gone thru many things thus far --but I have noticed
that the ac and compressor seem to only work sporadically
The IRCM will not affect your idle; if anything the fuel pump would cut out and the engine would stall. A/C and compressor will cycle on/off if any of the following buttons are on: Max A/C, Norm, Heat/Defrost, Defrost, there is sufficient refrigerant in the system, and the outside air is cool.
The way to test the A/C is to turn it on Norm cool, windows down and the outside air warmer than 75degrees and idle speed at around 1500. The compressor clutch should kick in and stay on for a while. Its OK if it disengages for a few seconds and then turns on again.. its designed to operate that way. :cool:

Back