Noob here...Window Motor

• Thread starter xThunderbirdSCx
  • Start date
X

xThunderbirdSCx

How do i replace the drivers side window motor? Mine acts finicky in warm weather will it will go up in little "fits" like an inch at a time.

The motor itself isnt bad, its the little plastic "balls" inside the gearbox are starting to wear out. I suppose they are there to cushion impact at the end of travel. On my car they hwere kinda rough on one side and completely pulverized on the other. My dad fixed mine by getting an old bolt about the same diameter and slicing into pieces. Substitute them for the balls and it should work fine, but be a little easy when the window gets near the top or bottom of the travel.

Thanks, but how do i actually REMOVE the unit from the door? Ive stripped to door to a point where the panel is off and the lining is off. Now what?

xThunderbirdSCx said:
Thanks, but how do i actually REMOVE the unit from the door? Ive stripped to door to a point where the panel is off and the lining is off. Now what?
Look in the middle of door - There you will find three 8mm bolt heads (They are recessed) remove the bolts and reach in where your speaker is (Remove that also) And pull out the motor.. Disconnect the wire clip.. Remove the "C" clip on the gear of the window motor. and there is a small allen head bolt also. Remove that. and the gear assy will pull out of the case. Replace plastic bearings. install in reverse order..
Hope that helps

Tony63
90 SC
91 5.0l
94 3.8 LX
90 Jeep 3.5 in lift
70 Mustang..

Are you sure the motor isn't riveted to the door frame?
I am awaiting the plastic regulator parts from www.mn12performance.com so I can do this and had my panel off and looks like the motor is riveted not bolted.

BobGPz said:
Are you sure the motor isn't riveted to the door frame?
I am awaiting the plastic regulator parts from www.mn12performance.com so I can do this and had my panel off and looks like the motor is riveted not bolted.
I have replaced the bearings in 3 of my motors.. They were all bolted in-- I know Ford riveted them in the early 80's.. But the T-birds I own have bolts... The rivets in the door hold the window track inplace..

Tony63
90 SC
91 5.0l
94 3.8 LX
90 Jeep 3.5 in lift
70 Mustang..

They are bolted on. You can buy the plastic bushings at most auto parts stores. They are in the "help" section. You know, the section that has all the red packages that say "help" on them. They are made by motormite.

Crud! I ordered them from back east and been waiting a week+ for them, and to think and they are available down the street. :(
Oh well, it will be a while till I am motivated to even LOOK at my car (Mad at it) let alone tear the door apart. But I'll look for the bolts a bit better.

i seem to have broken a couple of plastic clips putting on and taking off the door panel. Is this going to be a problem, and how can i fix it?

I ground three Nuts down and put them in my window motor and they work fantastic. Didnt cost a dime, just a little time, hey that rhymed and so did that.

k guys...

Alright, i bought the little plastic cylinders for the window motor and took the motor apart and removed the trashed blue ones. Now i put the new plastic ones in and the little gear doesnt go doesn cause the little plastic things are too big. What do i do?

Take a utility knife and shave a piece about the thickness of a fingernail off each of the three plastic bushings. The gear will slip in.

dms825 said:
Take a utility knife and shave a piece about the thickness of a fingernail off each of the three plastic bushings. The gear will slip in.
I just filed them down until they fit.. As for you door panel, I wound just get long interoir screws and screw down the door panel.. If you do it right it don't look bad- In fact you probably won't even notice..

Tony63
90 SC
91 5.0l
94 3.8 LX
90 Jeep 3.5 in lift
70 Mustang..

Back