PDA

View Full Version : Dielectric Grease Usage



pablon2
03-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Hopefully a quick and easy answer here.....

Is it necessary/a good idea to use dielectric grease in ALL electrical components/sensors? I ask b/c I am reconnecting the TPS and IAC sensors among a few others and it occurred to me that I should add some grease as long as I was in there. I looked and saw no grease or any presence of grease on the sensor fittings so I am now questioning whether I should use any at all. But, being the connectors/sensors are now 12 years old, maybe the OEM grease has dried up? I know the O2 sensors have it on them. What I wanna avoid is messing up a perfectly good sensor with good intentions.

Thanks as usual!

XR7 Dave
03-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Hopefully a quick and easy answer here.....

Is it necessary/a good idea to use dielectric grease in ALL electrical components/sensors? I ask b/c I am reconnecting the TPS and IAC sensors among a few others and it occurred to me that I should add some grease as long as I was in there. I looked and saw no grease or any presence of grease on the sensor fittings so I am now questioning whether I should use any at all. But, being the connectors/sensors are now 12 years old, maybe the OEM grease has dried up? I know the O2 sensors have it on them. What I wanna avoid is messing up a perfectly good sensor with good intentions.

Thanks as usual!

All underhood sensors have a rubber gasket to seal out moisture. If you want to take the rubber gasket out and coat it with the grease and put it back in, it will seal better and connect much easier. It is a good idea. Putting grease on the actual contacts may or may not be the best idea. The grease does not conduct electricity, but it prevents corrosion if water does get in the connection. I've never had any problems with getting the grease in the contacts themselves, but others may disagree. If you take apart one of your window switches, you will see that the factory puts dielectric grease on the sliding contacts in the switches.

Shockwave
03-07-2005, 01:44 AM
It wont hurt anything, the metal will still make contact and the grease will keep moisture out. The lack of corrosion from the absence of moisture out weighs anything else.

Jerry