Strong pull towards right

Digitalchaos

For some time, I have been experiencing an aggressive pull towards the passenger side of the vehicle in my SC. The car would leave the road entirely in about 5 seconds, left to its own devices.

I have had full 4 wheel alignments performed, all parameters came within the shops record of stock specs. This problem occured before, and continued to occur after.

It is my understanding that worn suspension bushings can cause this symptom, especially if alignment has already been performed and failed. However, I am unfamiliar with which bushings might cause this, and their location. Might anyone be able to provide this info and some pics so I could check them?

My shocks are also worn , as the car floats significantly during braking, accel, and side to side motion. Could this exasperate another cause, or even somehow be the cause?

Your help is appreciated, as always!

Try swapping your front tires

I had an '86 El Camino that had the same problem. It would go to the right and run off the road if I let go of the steering wheel. I had two shops check the alignment and it was right in specs each time. The second shop swapped the front tires and the problem went away. My son recently had the same thing happen to him on his Honda Accord. When he swapped the front tires the probelm went away. Don't ask me why. I guess it is magic!

Hope this helps.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, UD Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

mine is actually doing that right now. What the problem i think is the upper conrtrol arms on your front wheels. When you look directly at the wheel well just above the tire, you will see a shape that looks like a 2 pronged fork comeing out at you with the 2 prongs going into the firewall and the well with a round tip (the ball joint) pointing down. If you look at the ball joint, it's boot may be cracking, thats a sign they may need replaced. You can do an e-bay search for "thunderbird upper control arms" and find your model. Make sure to buy left and right ones. They are only about 60 bucks each so its not too bad, and you can replace then yourself, they come with the bushings, control arms, and the ball joints. IF that doesnt solve it....which i bet it will, then do the lowers, which is a much harder job. But try the uppers, im pretty sure thats what it is.

Diagram
__TOP OF WHEEL WELL__

__()\............/() -----bushings
____\........./
_____\......./ -------control arms
______(.O.) -balljoint
_______||
_______||-spindle to wheel axle
____*******
_*****....*****
_****.......*****-Wheel

Last edited:
Before you ever change any suspension components because of a "pull", always swap tires side to side on the front. Chances are very good that the tires are the source of the problem.

Tires have tolerances in them just like anything else. They may not be 100% symetrical and some brands are worse than others. The technical term is "conicity". Every tire has a certain amount of it but some are really bad. It is not an abnormal defect in the tire, nor is it related to treadwear. It is a manufacturing tolerance.

If you swap the tires and the car pulls the opposite way, then rotate them to the rear. If the rear tires do it too then the only solution is to replace them.

Of course if none of that helps then it may be a suspension problem. However if the car checks out at the alignment shop then 99% it's the tires.

David

I know you probably already thought of this, but also check your tire pressure. One tire at 32 and the other at 20 will cause that kind of pull.

And Yes I know someone who paid for an alignment and went home unhappy, I notice a tire was low, filled it and the pull was gone. Then she was really unhappy.

90blkbrd said:
I know you probably already thought of this, but also check your tire pressure. One tire at 32 and the other at 20 will cause that kind of pull.

And Yes I know someone who paid for an alignment and went home unhappy, I notice a tire was low, filled it and the pull was gone. Then she was really unhappy.

i can personally vouch for that one. :rolleyes:

Moses

Back