Speedometer and odometer not working

Steve Richards

SCCoA Member
I was wondering if someone can give me some advice to solve this problem.
It's for a 1990 5-speed SC.

So far, I have done the following:
  • Replaced vss and speedo gear
  • Replaced the speedo and odometer gauge with 3 different units
  • Tried 2 different gauge pods
  • Cleaned the contacts on the gauge pod
  • Ensured all the connectors were fully engaged
  • Replaced the eec
All other gauges work
All fuses are good including the main ones in the engine compartment

Any suggestions?

I'd take a multimeter and check the three contacts for the speedometer in the gauge pod. One should have 12v when the ignition key is in start or run, another should have ground, and the third should have continuity between it and the speed sensor.

Odometer Problem

Hey, I am having the same problem on my 93. I have practically rebuilt two gauges and changed out two gauge pods my self and still have not found the problem :confused: . Have you done any work on the dash recently? Please let me know if you find out what is wrong and I will do the same. Thank you and God bless.

Donny

Thanks JD
In case I need to rerun some wiring, would you happen to know the colors I need to tap into ie: the power lead and the one from the VSS?

Donny - I'll let you know what I find out but it may not be until next week since I am going out of town tommorow.

There are 2 gears in the tranny also, that could break.
The 7-8 in the tranny, and the 19-21 on the sensor.
I have never seen the one in tranny, and not looking
forward to it, but I am told there is one. :eek:
But you probably know that, if you have gone this far.
Bon Chance.

Last edited:
Steve Richards said:
Thanks JD
In case I need to rerun some wiring, would you happen to know the colors I need to tap into ie: the power lead and the one from the VSS?
Pull out the speedometer from the gauge pod. The top contact for the speedometer in the gauge pod is ground, the left contact is 12v (when the ignition is in start or run), and the right contact is the signal from the speed sensor (200-300 ohms between this contact and ground, 1.3-6.1 volts AC between this contact and ground when driving the car).
If you do not get the required speed sensor resistance and AC voltage at the contact on the right, then unplug the speed sensor connector at the transmission and check resistance and AC voltage between the two contacts. This is because the signal from the speed sensor is fed to the EEC, ABS module, VAPS (variable assist power steering) module or ARC module, and speed control amplifier (cruise control), in addition to the speedometer, and a fault in one of them could short out the speed sensor signal.
As sail7seas suggested, check the two gears, one in the transmission and the other in the speed sensor.

Back