PDA

View Full Version : The SC and Winter/Snow Preformance

j2zuc3
03-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Any ideas guys? Will an SC run smoothly in the winter with the right tires and weight in the back? A 93 SC automatic by the way....anyone know first hand? or have any EDUCATED guesses? Thanks guys...

P.S. Im talking like, alberta winters.
P.P.S. Im also not looking for anwsers like "Park It, or buy another car for winter" I want real anwsers, yes or no with explinations...

SCaddict
03-08-2005, 12:22 PM
I live in Calgary and drive my SC all year round. As you can tell my car is not stock and I still don't have any issues. It can get a little difficult to get up a hill, but I would say that a lot of rear wheel drive cars have that issue. What kind of things are you concerned about?

Jason Wild
03-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I would say it's ok with an auto not sure I would want with my 5 speed.

91BLOWNSC
03-08-2005, 12:37 PM
I use to drive my 91 year round also. I didn't think it was overly hard. You have to keep the back-end in check and not give it to much gas or you won't go anywhere. I have a 95 taurus now that I use now and obviously it blows my SC outta the water. You have to be careful where your parked at and other peoples driveways that have a large amount of snow in them. I used to get stuck in my g/f's driveway ALL the time. But as with any other car..it is managable. People drive t-birds all the time in the snow.

brandonhgt
03-08-2005, 01:09 PM
I too have driven my SC in the winter here in Michigan and I found that it did just fine as long as I have a good set of tires on it. Also, have you thought about getting a set of snow tires? I bought a set of Blizzaks for my focus and I have yet to lose traction. good luck.

Andy 94SC
03-08-2005, 01:29 PM
With a set of decent snow tires these cars are exremely good in snow. But even on a set of all seasons I prefer driving the SC in snow over the Jeep I traded in on it.

90blkbrd
03-08-2005, 01:40 PM
I bought a set of spare rims and mounted 4 winterforce tires on them. Put 100 pounds of weight in the trunk.

This winter (so far) I have driven in 6-10 inches of snow, hard snow pack, and ice. I think I brake better than my wife's SUV. Driving the SC this way has been the best RWD car I have ever driven in the winter.

pablon2
03-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Don't know...I store my baby in the winter. ;)

Any ideas guys? Will an SC run smoothly in the winter with the right tires and weight in the back? A 93 SC automatic by the way....anyone know first hand? or have any EDUCATED guesses? Thanks guys...

P.S. Im talking like, alberta winters.
P.P.S. Im also not looking for anwsers like "Park It, or buy another car for winter" I want real anwsers, yes or no with explinations...

S_Mazza
03-08-2005, 02:00 PM
I think braking performance is pretty good. However, you have to be careful about climbing hills. I have an automatic SC with new all-season tires. I consider myself to be a good winter driver, but I have gotten stuck a couple of times while going up hills. I also did a 270-degree spin on the Interstate which was no fun. Having the automatic also can make things difficult because it will shift when it feels like it, not when you feel like it. An ill-timed shift can break your traction.

To sum up, I used to think this car was "pretty good" in the snow. I have recently downgraded my opinion to "okay" in the snow.

mmmduke
03-08-2005, 10:58 PM
I have a 93 sc -auto and live in Chicago. Changing from Z to V rated tires made a big difference for me. Also, when there's heavy snow, I find it really helps to add some weight in the trunk; 100-200 lbs.

Miller
03-08-2005, 11:18 PM
we got naield with some snow today... the roads were all ice ...i only had 1 major problem.. and that was on the entrace ramp to the LIE.... bad spot.. lol... but when i got off exit 61 i was behind a red mustang.. and the thing got stuck in the snow + was blockin the road.. the light changed red + green like 3 times + they were getting no progress....just flooring it spinnin the tires.. so i got out + it was some woman so i helped push her out....then i got stuck in the same spot as she drove away but i got out in a min... 2 minutes up the road... the same b**** is sittin at the light... it turns green + she starts spinnin um... i get out again cause shes blockin my only way through + push her .... she stops 15 ft up + gets stuck again... so im forced to go push this idiot again + she just floors it around the turn + went strait ahead + almost rammed a pole.... i ended up getitn home without having to rescue her again... but after all I did for her, not once did she say thank you...

Birdman93
03-09-2005, 08:44 AM
I would not have helped after the second time-woulda told her if you didn't learn the first two that you DON'T hammer it in snow, then you need to get off the road and ride the bus.

OH-and you're welcome! :p

blownranger
03-09-2005, 04:57 PM
I have had 3 SC's...all auto's and have driven all of them through Winnipeg winters. The first 2 (90 and 93) I didn't have snow tires, just all seasons. I liked driving them in the winter as I had a ton of fun sliding them around. They are very controllable with the posi, and my 94 with TC AND snow tires is no problem at all...albeit not as much fun! I have had to back down my driveway, and up the driveway of neighbour across the street and take a run at it to get up and in the garage a few times over the years. But I never got stuck once where I wasn't able to get myself out with some skill, common sense and a little bit of rockin! Just my 2 cents worth!