check gauge light????

ThunderDave

This problem has occured over the last several months. Sometimes when coming to a stop or even when putting it in gear at times, the idle drops to aroud 500 and the check gauge light comes on. The oil pressure gauge also drops, but as soon as the idle goes back up and steadies, the light goes out and the oil pressure goes back up.

Could this be an oil pump issue or (maybe a wild shot) could the crank sensor not be getting a good reading and trying to cut the motor off? I pulled the balancer off in the summer trying to locate a problem and reinstalled it. I torqued the bolt to specs, but I was told since I had taken it off, it would give me problems later.

I haven't done a scan yet, which I'm gonna do this weekend while doing some other work on the car.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, comments,.........

Thanks!!!

check the codes that the car is giving off. Check the how to on checking codes. I'm not sure what site it is that has them. Somebody else could help with that. but first have the codes checked. Could be many things. Might only be the IAC valve too. Mine did that too( except throwing a light)when i put it in gear but mine would alot of the time stall out. Then i dumped injector cleaner in and it doesn't stall anymore. The idle does dip a little bit but doesn't stop running. Here is the link to the site that tells you how to pull codes www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Tips/EECSelfTest.htm Hope that helps

I've got a hand held scanner I bought at Advance last summer. I replaced the IAC and TPS then too. I wouldn't think they would be bad. I'll also check the balancer bolt to see if it has backed off some. Other than this problem, it runs fine. It didn't have this happening before I worked on it last summer. I ended up using a used throttle body on it because I cleaned the other one with carb cleaner and I guess somehow messed it up. It wouldn't idle right and after I put the used TB on there, it idled good, but just has this problem every once in a while.

Maybe I should try another TB? :confused:

Last edited:
Why yes, yes it did. Why do you ask? :rolleyes: It's been happening off and on for a while. It's usually not a problem, but every now and then, it just acts like it doesn't want to idle high enough. :confused:

When are you going to do your exhaust?

Paul, I noticed today a hissing sound coming from the climate control area. Would a vacuum leak in that area cause this problem?

I'll check this out Saturday and see why it's hissing.

Thanks!

Back