Can You!!

super89

i have a rust spot forming on the back left of my car is it easy to switch the whole rear left Quarter panle or can u even do that with this car.

super89 said:
i have a rust spot forming on the back left of my car is it easy to switch the whole rear left Quarter panle or can u even do that with this car.
The rear 1/4 panel is huge on this car. if you look at it it covers the whole side of the car behind the door! This included the rear window ect. I would advise going to the junkyard and having them cut or torch out a large section of the rear 1/4 panel around where your rust spot is on another car. Then when you get home clean it up to a perfect circle and cut out a corresponding circle in your own car. Now weld in the new piece. you must remember not to run a continuous bead for several reasons. #1 you will prolly burn through this very thin **** they call metal they make the body of cars out of these days, and you will end up warpage. You must place a tack somewhere along the circle, then tack again about 1/2 way across, and then in between those tacks, and then in between those tacks. Now you should have 8 tacks. At this point you can start building on those tacks. Put a bit of weld next to each tack, and move onto the next tack, and do the same thing there. just keep going around in circles putting a bit more weld onto each section until you have filled in the while circle. Doing this prevents any one spot from heating up to much and warping. At this point grind it all down and bondo where/if it needs it. Go to a local bodyshop, they should be able to color match and paint the area for a few hundred. This was how i did it on my 91 silver NA t-bird, it turned out very well. If the rust isn't so bad yet i would just sand all the paint and rust off from around it, and paint it up. If the rsut isn't all the way through it really isn't worth the trouble.

Back