Fuel System Trouble

NM_SuperCoupe

I am currentlly restoring a 1990 SC!! So much fun! However when I go to start the car, I got nothing. I can spray starting fluid into the air intake and it will fire perfectly, but once that burns off I die! Fuelpump is working and I am getting pressure. Is there something with the Computer?? Anyproblems SC's had that I should know about? Thanks guys!

NM_SuperCoupe

oh yea........... # 1 check all fuses, under dash and in black box next to battery.. I had same problem. commen sense would say electrical, but this is an s/c.. which means harmonic balancer. turn engine over and watch for any wobble on lower pulley. Do a search ..you'll get thousands

BARTHWY59 said:
oh yea........... # 1 check all fuses, under dash and in black box next to battery.. I had same problem. commen sense would say electrical, but this is an s/c.. which means harmonic balancer. turn engine over and watch for any wobble on lower pulley. Do a search ..you'll get thousands

Really? If I have a fuse out it could cause that to not fire? Even if it fires with ether?

These cars will have you chasing your tail, always go for the simple things first, i had a bad ground that only affected the fuel pump, everything else worked fine. Fuses .. then relays, and someone on this forum will always help you out.

Are you getting any spark? I know that not having good spark plugs will really cause these engines to not want to cooperate. Also, I've heard you can have the cam sensor housing installed 180 degrees out if you haven't installed it with the special tool. They are pretty cheap. Make sure that you are not following the haynes book for spark plug wire hook up. It is wrong.

Do u have injector pulse. Check the injector harness plug maybe the connection is bad. I ran across that with my car. It was together but not clicked and the #5 injector wasnt working. Just my .02's

Michael Mattix said:
Are you getting any spark? I know that not having good spark plugs will really cause these engines to not want to cooperate. Also, I've heard you can have the cam sensor housing installed 180 degrees out if you haven't installed it with the special tool. They are pretty cheap. Make sure that you are not following the haynes book for spark plug wire hook up. It is wrong.

Yes, I am getting spark. It fires with a little ether! HAHA, sounds great too, i got no exhaust! But it dies quickly after. How hard are the injectors to change on these bad boys?

Did you check the inertia switch in the trunk. That cuts off the fuel in the event of an accident. I remember that happening to me years ago in my Ford Station Wagon. I got hit in the rear and then couldn't get the car restarted. Got it towed and even the repair shop could only start it up by spraying into the intake, but it wouldn't stay running. Finally the garage called a Ford dealer and that's what they suggested we check. Low and behold it was the inertia switch. Go to the trunk and, on the left inner fender is an opening with a small module, which has a red button. If the button is above the rim just push it down until it sets. Worth a check.

Injector Eleectrical System

Does anyone know the layout of the wiring that controls the injector pulse? Could it possibly be a wire short or something like that?? Thanks for the help.

BARTHWY59 said:
harmonic balancer
#1 - It is not the spark, because it fires with starting fluid, meaning there is a spark in there, so it doesn't sound like sparkplugs/ignition problem.
#2 - MN said the fuel pump was working and he was getting pressure, so it doesn't sound like the fuel pump, or the fuel pump shutoff. Where did you check the pressure? at the rails?
#3 - If the harmonic balancer was bad why would it fire with starting fluid and not on the injectors?
The injector pulse definitly sounds like the most likely senario from the info that you have supplied.

i'll check my chiltons manuals to see if i can find a wiring schematic for the injector pulses

This may help:

Attachments

• Injectors 1.jpg
    Injectors 1.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Injectors 2.jpg
    Injectors 2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 28
Back