Harmonic Balancer Breaking?

94SCBird

i have a 1994 SC 5 Spd, and heres what happened, i got the car to my house after school i was standing behind it admiring my decals lol and all the sudden it jus shuts off, it has been running good, until it gets an occasional thing where it drops below 700RPM and it acts like it wants to die but kicks up again, and it was doin this when it died so i had my mechanic come out and look at it, and he pulled off one of the wires and as it was crankin it wouldn't spark until i let off the key, as its cranking nothing, but once i let off of it, it sparks, so he took it in and today he tells me the harmonic balancer is broken, has anyone else had this problem? and from what he tells me theres only like 2 of them in the united states, that you can get ahold of, i got one of them and the other one he didnt' wanna get rid of lol

thanks keith

My 95 hasn't had that problem yet *knocks on wood*, but from what I read on here is that you need to purchase a BHJ (I know that supercoupe performance has them for $385.00) and a new zero balanced crank pulley to put it on. I am under the impression that the stock balancer and crankshaft pulley are balanced as a unit. So, if you try to replace the stock balancer with a zero balanced BHJ unit, the assembly won't be balanced together. Like I'll state differently, I'm not the expert on this, but you would probably want to do a search on here for "BHJ" or "harmonic balancer".

hey its me yes ive also had the fun with my harmonic balancer breaking yes quite fun any who it should be fine once u get the new balancer

Common problem. You can go with a new stock unit or a BHJ. Don't install a used one. I did, it lasted about 300 miles. I went with a BHJ and a SCI aluminum pulley. Problem solved.
Do a search on this site, you will find all the info you need.

Last edited:
Back