PDA

View Full Version : Ford Racing oil breather cap

Sampo
03-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Do I have to reprogramm my PCM if I install that cap? I have read I should do so!! Thanks! :)

SilverCasket
03-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Are you talking about the little breather on the valve cover? If so, then no. Just plug & play!

Anthony

Sampo
03-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Yes, that little chromed breather cap...
By the way, if Iīll get one what may my engine say about it? Or the cap just looks nice and thatīs it!

Joisey Jim
03-09-2005, 01:29 PM
I don't see a lot of advantage to that, it'll only get dirty under the hood and there isn't much space to put but a very small filtered breather cap on top of the driver side valve cover. I've heard that it technically throws off the MAF, because the stock system gets it's PVC air from the intake pipe, just passed the MAF. So you'll also have to plug that little branch hose off the intake (just behind the a/c compressor). If you install an aftermarket intake pipe that doesn't have the pvc connection, you can put one of the small K&N filters on the end of the existing hose.

SilverCasket
03-09-2005, 02:53 PM
I put one in place of my oil cap. I needed it because of crank case pressure. It stopped blow-by for me. ... It was a trouble shooting method for me & I left it there. ... It doesn't hurt anything. If you have no need for it, there may not be a help, but surely not going to hurt anything.

Anthony

92bird
03-09-2005, 03:01 PM
but surely not going to hurt anything.

I strongly disagree.. I've dynoed my a few times with a wideband o2 sensor. I used a breather setup for one dyno session and we could not tune the car at all, the A/F was not consistant no matter what we did.

Problem is you are allowing unmetered air into the system, which can cause a lean situation. We all know what boost + going lean equals, right?

Leave it hooked up, if you are worried about oil getting into the intake, get or make your own air/oil seperators.. That's what I did.

On a stock SC that is programmed pig rich from the factory, you may be ok. But those who have a tuner or some sort of chip with a more agressive Air/Fuel ratio may be asking for trouble.

92bird
03-09-2005, 03:04 PM
also search the archives! This has been hashed out and debated many, many times in the past. There is lots of good info, and you can make your own deciision. My post was primarily just stating my personal experience.

SilverCasket
03-09-2005, 03:56 PM
I don't know about the driver side, I keep that hooked up to the intake tube. I haven't had any trouble with my breather on the passenger side and the A/F ratio is perfect. But if it's been a problem for others, then each person has to see what works for them. But mine has had one for almost 2 years & I've had Herron dyno tune my car on a couple occassions & the A/F is stable with every pass. .. But again, it's on the passenger side, not the driver valve cover that should be routed to the intake tube.

My reason for the cap was crank case pressure. It helped my situation & has no draw backs. But again, if this is a known problem, don't take my word solely, just take my experience collectively.

Sampo
03-09-2005, 05:17 PM
So, if my engine is almost stock can I run with that cap? And I mean that cap
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo&item=7935871896&category=33622
which I put in the oil filler neck...

Sampo
03-10-2005, 05:50 AM
So, if my engine is almost stock can I run with that cap? And I mean that cap
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo&item=7935871896&category=33622
which I put in the oil filler neck...

Please, tell the stupid one!! ;)

SilverCasket
03-10-2005, 11:48 AM
I would say yes, but I don't want to get mauled here. ... For the bling factor I guess that's cool. .. But that's one area I never worried about. So if anything, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. .. But again, I've been through plenty with my SC & I still can't figure on how dropping a breather in the "oil filler neck" would affect the MAFS. .. I know a couple of NJ guys have them for the look with no problems. I have mine because it helped with a problem. ... But if there are documented tests of replacing the "Oil Filler Neck" I'd like to know. That's good info to have. ... As for the PVC or on the passenger side or the hose from the driver side, we are not talking about that. If someone has info on how the breather could affect MAFS by placing it in the "Oil Filler Neck" , please respond.

If you don't get any responses, what the hell, give it a shot. :rolleyes:

Anthony

Sampo
03-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks Anthony, I agree with you! :)
And really, if someone has a exact information about this oil breather cap and how it will affect to MAFS and the other things, please let me know... ;)

David Neibert
03-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Jeramie is correct, that replacing the cap with a filter will allow unmetered air into the engine. But I've seen lots of SCs with them and most didn't seem to have any problems.

Intead of putting the filter on, I would get a chrome or polished aluminum oil fill cap.

David

Sampo
03-11-2005, 03:00 AM
Jeramie is correct, that replacing the cap with a filter will allow unmetered air into the engine. But I've seen lots of SCs with them and most didn't seem to have any problems.

Intead of putting the filter on, I would get a chrome or polished aluminum oil fill cap.

David

OK, thanks! :) I think Iīll buy that breather cap and if I have the problems I just make it "no breathing"... ;)

Joisey Jim
03-11-2005, 12:22 PM
If you put a filtered breather cap in place of the oil filler cap and leave the pvc hose in place on the MAF intake, will that lower the internal pcv pressure and therefore reduce the blow-by going thru the pcv valve and into the intake (the main source of dirty throttle bodies and oil in the supercharging system) ? I also assume that this is technically illegal for 'on-road' use because you will be venting oil fumes into the atmosphere.