Mt St. Helens makes a Mushroom Cloud

BobGPz

Our mountain spewing ash and steam again. Coming back from post office, my daughter says "Look at that cloud daddy!" Holy crud! :eek: It looked like a mushroom cloud. We drove up by the Ford dealer where there is a good view of the mountain and it looked pretty incredible! We've had a few light steam ventings that were ok until yesterday, but this was the most impressive show she put on yesterday, since the 1980's eruption.

Linky to pictures and video:
http://www.katu.com/stories/75565.html
Viewers Photo's:
http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=75566

Last edited:
A few years after the eruption, I got to fly my hang glider at Dog Mtn. / Rifle Lake and was able to look almost straight down into the blown out side of the mountain......

You could still see the entire blast zone.......That was one big expolsion :eek: :eek:

Pictures could never do it justice.....The view from up in the air was incredible.....

the-big-e said:
A few years after the eruption, I got to fly my hang glider at Dog Mtn. / Rifle Lake and was able to look almost straight down into the blown out side of the mountain......

You could still see the entire blast zone.......That was one big expolsion :eek: :eek:

Pictures could never do it justice.....The view from up in the air was incredible.....
Hmm, another hang glider pilot. Very cool. I haven't flown in about 7 or 8 years, but I do still have my tank of a glider (about a 17 year old Moyes Mega III, serviced by Lookout Mountain Flight Park around the last time I flew). Not many (ok, any) places to fly here in Missouri. Anyway, just thought it was cool seeing another pilot. Do you still fly?

Sorry about the hijack

Yeah those pictures do not do it justice from yesterday either. The plume was totally HUGE! :eek:
First thought was something BIG exploded, then I thought the mountain was giving way again, and after we got to a view point we could see that it had. :cool:

Kurt K said:
Hmm, another hang glider pilot. Very cool. I haven't flown in about 7 or 8 years, but I do still have my tank of a glider (about a 17 year old Moyes Mega III, serviced by Lookout Mountain Flight Park around the last time I flew). Not many (ok, any) places to fly here in Missouri. Anyway, just thought it was cool seeing another pilot. Do you still fly?

Sorry about the hijack

Kurt, you ever get to come down to the hang gliding capital of the world, well thats what the signs say here in the Tennessee valley area (where Lookout Mountain is located)? During warm weather one can see them out all over the place. Never understood the desire to do it, oh well people call me crazy for crawling around in the dark in a hole in the ground... :D

SCme said:
Kurt, you ever get to come down to the hang gliding capital of the world, well thats what the signs say here in the Tennessee valley area (where Lookout Mountain is located)? During warm weather one can see them out all over the place. Never understood the desire to do it, oh well people call me crazy for crawling around in the dark in a hole in the ground... :D
Lookout Mountain Flight Park is actually located near (in) Rising Fawn, GA; just a little south of the Tennesse border. I think theres a few other sights in Tennesse that see a lot of hang gliding action, but I've never flown any of them.

Ah caving....been even longer since I've done that. There's a lot of caves here in Missouri :)

Matt Taber has owned Lookout Mtn. for quite some time and has done really welll with it......When conditions are right, you can fly 11 miles down the ridge into Chattanooga at Rock City........What a view..... :D :D :D

Other places to fly in TN are the Sequatchie Valley at Hensens Gap in Dunlap and Whitwell down the valley....

South Carolina has a few good sites as well as North Carolina......But......

Florida has the best sites in the south.......Groveland, Orlando, Gainsville, and a new one south of Lake Ochechobee (sp) out in the middle of B F F have ultralight aircraft that tow us up as high as we want to go......

Gliders sure have changed since the Moyes Mega (ton) was produced.....That was about the time I got into the sport.......I just purchased a new U-2 from Wills Wing.......

Here is how we get into the air..... :D :cool:

Attachments

• Misc 105.jpg
    Misc 105.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
TbirdSCFan said:
Did they reopen the ski-lift? ;)
Thanks for the reminder Richard..somehow missed that post.
So after popular demand (1 person :D ) I have officially re-opened ski lift tickets for their ex's to Mount Saint Helens :D There's little to no snow and a whole lot of jagged rocks. They will love it! ;)
Maybe my ex's 7th husband will buy her one..I know the 4th, 5th, and 6th would go in together on a group buy. :D

Ahhhhh yes.....truck towing :eek:

Not my cup of tea.....Too much going on and too near the ground for me....

However, it is a blast to launch out of the back of a pick up truck at 35 mph :eek: and shoot up several hundred feet in a matter of seconds.......

We never could get much over 900 feet on our 3000 foot runway.....

Kurt K said:
Here's how I did it...Click Here
I really miss flying, but I've been out of it for so long, I'd almost have to start over.

Not really....It's just like riding a bike.....You might be a bit "rusty"......

If you can get to Florida, they have some terrific schools and can teach just about anybody to fly....

the-big-e said:
Not really....It's just like riding a bike.....You might be a bit "rusty"......

If you can get to Florida, they have some terrific schools and can teach just about anybody to fly....

I actually learned to fly in Arkansas, which is where those pics are from. I also have the pics from my very cliff foot launch....that was exciting. Well, not the sled ride, just clearing the first set of trees :eek: :)

Yeah, I'm sure I could still fly, but as much as I hate to admit it, I would probably hit (no pun intended) a training hill a few times before jumping off something high again.

That is true, if you are going back to the mountains....

However, with aero-towing, there is no foot launching......You launch out of a cart......

This is me launching with my BAD A** Sensor 510 (God, I love this glider) in Florida last year.... :D :cool:

The only thing to worry about is the landing.....(see signature) :D

Attachments

• Launch.JPG
    Launch.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 26
Back