Second Gear Gone! Suggestions

Bigme574

I must have blown the blocker ring in my m5r2...It was kinda notchy before but a hard shift did it in. Now it will always grind if I try second...I cna double clutch it or speed shift but I just skip 2nd if I even drive it. I ordered the Blocker ring for second and first gear. It is really sloppy in 2nd like there is nothing in front of the gear...Is it possible to shatter the ring? Just curious...I cant think of anything else it could be.

When the fiber lining is gone the blocker gets really loose and floppy. You could have some excess wear on the synchro cluster, too. You might want to replace all of the blockers. You can be sure that 3rd is not far behind and you have to take it all apart anyway. Replace the thrust bearing between the input and output shafts as well as the 2 big nuts on the other shaft ends. The rest of it you'll have to inspect to determine if there are any other problems. These 5 spds are pretty easy to rebuild actually.

Mike,
Can you still get any of the tools to do it yourself still? If so where can they be found at?

Shane

Back