1993 brakes repair - master cylinder

Digitalchaos

Hi everyone.

Recently discovered a clear oily fluid running along the bottom of the gray boot attached to the metal stem behind the brake pedal assembly, off the master cylinder.

This after having a weak pedal the entire time I've owned the car, too long to be anything but a bad master cylinder I think.

Where is the community recognized source for a new (rebuilt?) master unit, how much do they usually cost, and what are the basic procedures which must be performed for installation?

Thank you!

Thus far I have found several reman and new master cylinders. Particularly, I have located a unit made by 'cardone' available at Rockauto.com and Autozone for around 80 dollars.

Anyone with any experience on this brand, or reman master cylinders in general?

Cardone have a big repair facility in Philadelphia, but are better known for re-building electrical/electronic components like alternators, electronic distributors, etc. However, I bought my replacement master cylinder from AutoZone, can't remember the brand but it was around $90. If you are replacing this without an associated clutch job (i.e not dropping the trans) it's a bit of a knuckle skinning job from underneath or you can remove the brake master/vacuum above.

Yes, all the SC's have a separate clutch master cylinder mounted on the firewall behind the pedal assembly. It's the "slave cylinder" that is integral with the release mechanism inside the clutch housing - whereas traditional systems have it mounted on the side of the bell housing with a mechanical clutch release.

Are there any specific procedures which must be followed when changing this unit; or is the old one simply unbolted from the vac booster, unscrewed from the main metal lines, & the new one installed? Also, should anything be done to prepare the new cylinder for use after installation?

Back