Need help removing A/C!

Sampo

Tell me guys, can I remove my A/C ?! Just take it away and that´s it! Or should I know something before I´ll do it? At least I´ll need a shorter belt, I´ll quess...
But should I add pulley in that place where the A/C was if I remove it? And how long that belt should be? What´s the belt´s part number?
Will I have more power after deleting A/C? And finally, will that be a difficult job?
So many questions but I want to be sure that everything will go allright. :eek:
I don´t need A/C here in cold Finland... ;)
I appreciate your help, thanks! :) :)

And hello to everyone!! I´m new in the club. I live in Europe in Finland. And I love these cars!! I have owned my SC for over five years now. I think this forum is the best place to have all information I will need! Thanks guys!! :)

Last edited:
If you're wanting to remove the A/C just for a power gain, as long as the clutch is not engaged the unit itself is little more than a pulley. So the most you will gain by taking it out and tossing it is a very few pounds of weight off of the front. As for whether there is a belt that will be designed for a non-A/C equipted SC......I dunno.

Not too sure on the A/C issue, was thinking about doing the same thing, but if the only benefit is a little bit of weight saving, then iguess i'd just keep it....these cars came with all the options anyways, so it would be nice to keep mine that way.

PS - Sweet looking ride, btw, very clean and sharp! nice to know we have members in other parts of the world too.... REPRESENT!!!

If you work on your own car, the weight or the power aren't the benefit. it's having all that crap outta your way so you can see your plug wires! i didn't notice hardly any gain in power. you will lose roughly 30lbs. if you yank the condenser and the compressor. some choose to run a delete pulley in place of the compressor. i just routed mine over the alternator tensioner. i used a tensioner pulley off of an N/A tbird or cougar. I am using a 55" belt for my serpentine. 56" will work too. I like to clean things outta the engine compartment so it's easy to work on. Here's pics on this thread. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58711

Last edited:
NMxr7SC said:
If you work on your own car, the weight or the power aren't the benefit. it's having all that crap outta your way so you can see your plug wires! i didn't notice hardly any gain in power. you will lose roughly 30lbs. if you yank the condenser and the compressor. some choose to run a delete pulley in place of the compressor. i just routed mine over the alternator tensioner. i used a tensioner pulley off of an N/A tbird or cougar. I am using a 55" belt for my serpentine. 56" will work too. I like to clean things outta the engine compartment so it's easy to work on. Here's pics on this thread. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58711

Thanks for help! Is it ok if I asked help in case I´ll have problems? :eek:

NMxr7SC said:
Ask anytime! if you need more pics let me know. By the way, Welcome to the club!

Thanks again!
Maybe I´ll need more pictures later. I´ll remove my A/C in May... My SC is "sleeping" right now. ;)
SCCoA is the best club in the world! :cool:

Back