PDA

View Full Version : Need help removing A/C!

Sampo
03-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Tell me guys, can I remove my A/C ?! Just take it away and thatīs it! Or should I know something before Iīll do it? At least Iīll need a shorter belt, Iīll quess...
But should I add pulley in that place where the A/C was if I remove it? And how long that belt should be? Whatīs the beltīs part number?
Will I have more power after deleting A/C? And finally, will that be a difficult job?
So many questions but I want to be sure that everything will go allright. :o
I donīt need A/C here in cold Finland... ;)
I appreciate your help, thanks! :) :)

Sampo
03-10-2005, 02:42 PM
And hello to everyone!! Iīm new in the club. I live in Europe in Finland. And I love these cars!! I have owned my SC for over five years now. I think this forum is the best place to have all information I will need! Thanks guys!! :)

markadeck
03-10-2005, 04:17 PM
If you're wanting to remove the A/C just for a power gain, as long as the clutch is not engaged the unit itself is little more than a pulley. So the most you will gain by taking it out and tossing it is a very few pounds of weight off of the front. As for whether there is a belt that will be designed for a non-A/C equipted SC......I dunno.

pomo35th
03-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Not too sure on the A/C issue, was thinking about doing the same thing, but if the only benefit is a little bit of weight saving, then iguess i'd just keep it....these cars came with all the options anyways, so it would be nice to keep mine that way.

PS - Sweet looking ride, btw, very clean and sharp! nice to know we have members in other parts of the world too.... REPRESENT!!!

Jeremy_K
03-11-2005, 12:57 AM
If you work on your own car, the weight or the power aren't the benefit. it's having all that crap outta your way so you can see your plug wires! i didn't notice hardly any gain in power. you will lose roughly 30lbs. if you yank the condenser and the compressor. some choose to run a delete pulley in place of the compressor. i just routed mine over the alternator tensioner. i used a tensioner pulley off of an N/A tbird or cougar. I am using a 55" belt for my serpentine. 56" will work too. I like to clean things outta the engine compartment so it's easy to work on. Here's pics on this thread. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58711

Sampo
03-11-2005, 02:53 AM
If you work on your own car, the weight or the power aren't the benefit. it's having all that crap outta your way so you can see your plug wires! i didn't notice hardly any gain in power. you will lose roughly 30lbs. if you yank the condenser and the compressor. some choose to run a delete pulley in place of the compressor. i just routed mine over the alternator tensioner. i used a tensioner pulley off of an N/A tbird or cougar. I am using a 55" belt for my serpentine. 56" will work too. I like to clean things outta the engine compartment so it's easy to work on. Here's pics on this thread. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58711

Thanks for help! Is it ok if I asked help in case Iīll have problems? :o

Jeremy_K
03-11-2005, 03:03 AM
Thanks for help! Is it ok if I asked help in case Iīll have problems? :o
Ask anytime! if you need more pics let me know. By the way, Welcome to the club!

Sampo
03-11-2005, 04:04 AM
Ask anytime! if you need more pics let me know. By the way, Welcome to the club!

Thanks again!
Maybe Iīll need more pictures later. Iīll remove my A/C in May... My SC is "sleeping" right now. ;)
SCCoA is the best club in the world! :cool: