..car just lost power...need suggestions...

z90sc

.....was driving into parking lot at work,cd player went dead,vmm flashed a few times and went dark,all interior lights went out,tach stopped dead,tried headlights ...nothing.....car started to idle down and CE lite came on.....I turned car off and attempted restart,acted as if battery was dead[turned over twice and then solenoid stutter]......possible bad alternator or ground cable short?No previous problems or indications......car just stopped.Any suggestions/ideas appreciated.Just added MP blower and tb last weekend,car has been running great all week w/ no problems.
z

off the top of my head it seems to be a bad battery connection. Take the terminals off and clean the the components or just do what my buddy and i do, buy new ends. Check that first. If that doesn't fix it, it's deffinatley something else. Possibly bad battery too. Check the connections first though. Hope that does the trick. :cool:

My car suddenly lost power twice. The first time when my crank sensor bracket loosened and the sensor got destoryed by the harmonic balancer. (The upshift yellow arrow stayed on after than).

And the second was when my battery terminals shorted out on the hood. The battery was too tall.

Give me a call if ya need some help. Sorry bro :(

David Neibert said:
Sounds like the alternator or a loose negative battery cable.

David
...........yep,alternator burned out..guess they are only good for three yrs.....thanks for all the suggestions......you guys always come through......now all I need is some decent weather.
z

z90sc said:
...........yep,alternator burned out..guess they are only good for three yrs.....thanks for all the suggestions......you guys always come through......now all I need is some decent weather.
z

Buy a new one if you can, Rick. I've heard that on the rebult ones they only repair the particular part that broke, not the entire alternator. Not sure if that's true or not, it's just what I've heard.

z90sc said:
.....was driving into parking lot at work,cd player went dead,vmm flashed a few times and went dark,all interior lights went out,tach stopped dead,tried headlights ...nothing.....car started to idle down and CE lite came on.....I turned car off and attempted restart,acted as if battery was dead[turned over twice and then solenoid stutter]......possible bad alternator or ground cable short?No previous problems or indications......car just stopped.Any suggestions/ideas appreciated.Just added MP blower and tb last weekend,car has been running great all week w/ no problems.
z
check the wire harness along the rad support on right side where it comes out by the rad it could of rubbed through had this happen to me :eek: :eek:

...it was the alternator....can't complain too much as it's only the second time I've replaced it since I've had the car......
z

z90sc said:
...it was the alternator....can't complain too much as it's only the second time I've replaced it since I've had the car......
z
make sure when you replace the alternator that you check the fusible link for the alternator. it's a turquoise wire attached to the starter solenoid. mine blew the fuse link and i ended up replacing 3 different alternators before i realized it. it just broke the wire inside of the insulation. i had to wiggle the wire and i noticed it was limp in the middle :rolleyes: I hate when it goes limp in the middle! :p

yeah mines did that a couple times a while back... it turns out it was the BATTERY CABLE that attaches to the fender mounted STARTER SOLENOID! It was loose like a moose.

Back