overheated then started missing and no heat

Hillard-89sc

My car overheated on my way home from work one day. Im not sure how long it was running hot because i didnt notice it until i got close to home and it started bucking and acting goofie. I let it cool down and restarted it. Thats when it started missing really bad.

So i had my car towed to the garage and they told me its not worth fixing that the supercharger fluid leaked down into the engine and caused all the problems and would need a new engine and supercharger. It almost seemed like a BS story and they didnt want to work on it. Im not sure how they came to that conclusion with out ripping it apart. Like an idiot i didnt question it but i was at work and didnt really have time to.

Before i took it to the garage i checked the oil for water and foaming in the radiator and all looked well.

I cant take it anywhere else due to my limited budget. What can i ask the garage to check? Should i have them change the plugs/wires and thermostat. The plugs probably have about 30-40k on them.

Thanks
Hillard

You're getting scammed!!!!

The supercharger is a sealed unit. It only has a fill hole that is threaded. The only way that supercharger oil gets out is from a bad front seal of the supercharger.

This would not cause you to need a new engine.

I would ask the mechanic (if I should call him that) to do a radiator pressure check. This will tell if you have a radiator leak or water pump leak or such.

The reason there was no heat is because there was no coolant left ot make heat.

The reason it was missing is probably due to a couple of things.

1) Blown gasket..Head gasket..
2) car was in "limp home mode" Meaning that the computer in the car knows there's a problem and limits the power so that not to BLOW UP the car.

3) Some computer problem that occured due to high heat. Meaning a sensor is shot due to the high heat.

Either way, don't let this guy work on your car unless you get the coolant system checked. It's a simple test that takes maybe 10 minutes of his time.

Hopefully you can either have them fix it or take it to another mechanic.

Good Luck,

Don

I'll have to take it somewhere else or try and do it myself. In there eye's the car is done and needs no more looking at. even after i told them that the supercharger was sealed and wouldnt kill the motor. Then they said oh it has other internal leaks too. And they said nothing is showing up on the computer.

Blown head gasket(s). Almost 100% chance.

Get a gasket kit, a manual, some tools and fix it yourself. With some time and work, it can be fixed for about $300 if you don't have a valve job done. $500 or so with valve job, milling the heads, the gasket kit and new head bolts.

The labor's the part that kills ya and you're time is free.

Back