PDA

View Full Version : Nice to find a forum where everyone gets along

97GTP
03-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Well, to start off my name is Ryan and I own a 1997 GTP. I've been part of the 3.8 community for awhile now and its gone to hell somewhat recently on the grand prix boards. One of our main aftermarket parts supplier Intense, has been taking some heat lately and the people on the boards for us, are non stop whiners and complainers. Basically just bashing vendors and making it very political, a point to where you get sick of it and alot of people start going different ways. The most complaint for those people is that the owner of the company is a crook, ripping them off and what not. I've bought parts from them and know the owner and have dealt with him before and never had any problems, very nice guy and is easy to work with. A friend I work with has a SC and told me about the website. I've looked around it before but just recently joined since it seems you guys never have any of the problems on these boards than what we do. Its nice to find a forum where people get along and not sit there and bash eachother and their vendors. Guess I just kinda had to vent but its geat to be here.

tim
03-12-2005, 09:15 PM
If you really want to be happy buy a S.C. to play with! :)

97GTP
03-12-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm happy with my GTP, especially with all the new fun go fast parts I put into. I just dropped $5000 last month on my tranny and some other stuff. Not everyone on the grand prix boards are the same but it kinda gets old after awhile. Not gettin on S.C.'s but I'm happy with my grand prix.

Jeremy_K
03-13-2005, 12:45 AM
INTRUDER!!! :eek: Just kidding. My buddy at work just bought one. I want to race him but he wants to "wait a year" :rolleyes: he's too busy making it pretty on the outside. every damn GTP i see has an old broad behind the wheel. i've yet to scrap with one on the street. Welcome to the club. :cool:

97GTP
03-13-2005, 01:55 AM
I've raced 2 S.C.'s before at the local track here. A girl drove one of them and it was a 5 sp. I don't think she was very good at shifting it cuz it was a no contest race. Then this guy I raced, he also had a 5 sp with some mods and it was a pretty good race, but I won that one though. It's kinda odd to see the difference in perfromance with the grand prix's and super coupes, both supercharged 3.8's. Major differences would be you guys are rear wheel and have stick shifts. Us, front wheel and all automatic. Always fun to race eachother though. I never spent money on making mine pretty on the outside, just went straight to performance parts. I've already rebuilt the engine and tranny so we'll see how fast she goes this year. Thanx for the welcoming.

chadder1313
03-13-2005, 02:21 AM
Yep man welcome to the club.

blackthunder90
03-13-2005, 04:37 AM
This is a great site/forum. One of the best in my opinion.
I've been around here since 2000(I used to have Blackbird90 as my screen name,don't know what happened)...But anyway SCCoA is hands down a great group,I've also been lucky enough to find great forums for my lightning for info and help and I think it goes a long way when the board has info,help,and brotherhood rather than bashing vendors,each other,etc.
God bless the SCCoA and the NLOC.Without you guys I wouldn't have learned ...and I still learn every day.
Welcome to a great family/forum!!

97GTP
03-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanx for the welcome everyone. Yeah, its nice to have a forum where you can learn alot and have the brotherhood. I'm a part of the Greater Ohio Club Grand Prix, (goclubgp for short) and all those guys are great and always very helpful. We usually meet up once a month for meetings. The company Intense, they rent out Norwalk once every year and have a special 3800 race for bonneville's, grand prix's, monte carlo's, impala's, and the lumina ltz's. Its a blast, everyone knows eachother and gets along. I'll get to meet some of the S.C. guys in ohio next month for the dayton meet for the racing part, I can't wait. I've been in the need to get the car out to the track ever since the new mods went on.

Birdman93
03-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Ryan-

You should come to Iowa for the bi-annual Club Clash!! The SCCoIA and the local GTP boys put on quite a show at the Tri-State Raceway-we have a lot of fun together!

97GTP
03-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I've read about the Super Coupe-GTP shootout in Iowa on the forum here. It sounds like a blast. A bit of a drive from ohio but it would be alot of fun I think. Definantely something to think about coming to down the road here. I'd have to see if any of the grand prix guys in the ohio club would wanna make the treck there with me. The company Intense I keep talking about, they have two pretty fast cars. The owner, his car is a Turbo 1998 GTP, quickesr run in its been a 10.19 @ 13x.xx mph. Then, the bonneville they have has run a best of 10.95@12x.xx mph, and that was with the backseats and what not still in the car, so its a pretty impressive running beast.

Birdman93
03-13-2005, 05:53 PM
That would be cool to have the Ohio guys come out-I know that there are some things in the works with regards to the Club Clash-but I don't have any specifics. :cool:

As Mike always says-the more, the merrier! :D

hytorksc
03-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Yeah, welcome to the forums. This is the only place i know of that the good guys here are willing to share a vast amount technical knowledge about the SC, imo, much more than ford certified techs would ever know about this car. I think all of us here have a love/hate relationship with the SC because it challenges you mechanically, but the incredible amount of knowledge and resources here offsets this and keeps me from getting rid of the SC. The SC is also just a great car to drive, just try it you'll like it. If this forum wasn't here to save me from my problems and lack of knowledge about the SC, i would not have an SC today. I like those GTP's too, in some ways they are pretty awesome too- lighter, more torque up high, just a different setup that's good too.

lube70
03-16-2005, 10:34 AM
I know your feeling, I also own a 1997 Grand Prix. One of the first one's produced actually, build in January of 1997. I didn't get the GTP version, (Mine's a GT) 2 Door Gt is mine.

I wanted the GTP, just didn't have traction Control in 1997, (optioned in 1998), and it was a replacement for a lemon Grand Am (1995) that I owned.

I have a good amount of respect for the GTP due to the power on the FWD platform.

Nice to see you over here saying Hi and drop back whenever you want.

Again, welcome!!!!

Don

joenintiesc
03-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Yeah, welcome! A few years ago I had considered getting rid of my 1990 SC (170,000 miles at the time) which had been my daily driver for the previous seven years. What was my first choice as a desired replacement? A late 90's GTP! I really liked the look of them (still do) and of course the performance was there as well. But happily before I was able to decide I stumbled onto this board, and as a result decided that keeping the SC, fixing and modding it, and turning it into a weekend/ fair weather "toy" was now a much more attractive option because of everyone here on this forum and the folks in the NJTACC (especially them!).

But if it had gone the other way I'd probably know you from your home forum! Anyway, glad that you are enjoying your excellent car as much as we are enjoying ours, and all hail to the supercharged 3.8!! :cool: :D

BlackbirdSC
03-18-2005, 05:48 PM
I've raced 2 S.C.'s before at the local track here. A girl drove one of them and it was a 5 sp. I don't think she was very good at shifting it cuz it was a no contest race. Then this guy I raced, he also had a 5 sp with some mods and it was a pretty good race, but I won that one though.

The guy in the 5spd might have been me. I'd met some GTP guys a couple years ago at Keystone (now Pittsburgh Raceway Park or sumthing like that) and met one of the guys at Quaker City not long after. Although that was quite some time ago and I don't think I'd had the new motor yet.

It might be a different story now. :p :D But would still be a great race. Not very often you see a race between to 13 flat porky cars like a SC or GTP. If I get a good run in without breaking something, I'm hoping to pull a 12.9 outta this thing before I put an Autorotor on it. ;)

David Neibert
03-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Steve,

Are you going to make it to the Dayton meet ?

David