Raising motor to change mounts

91_SC_BIRD

I put a piece of wood under the pan, but when I jack the car the whole front end comes up to. I know it should raise a bit because you are taking weight off the front end, but how much?? I worried about breaking something.

Another thing is that on the driver side, I rounded the bolt on the top left of the mount :(. I was able to take off the 18mm on the middle of the mount itself. I'm thinking that I can do the folowing, leave the top mount in place and then remove the bottom bracket (with rubber mount). From what I've looked at, it seems to be a good idea. I want to avoid touching that rounded off bolt. (btw at this point the bottom portion of the driver side mount has its bolts removed.)

Thanks for the help!

One thing you may want to try is to jack the engine up by the tranny. Place the jack by where the bell housing meets the engine. This may work for you.

Shane

quick35th said:
One thing you may want to try is to jack the engine up by the tranny. Place the jack by where the bell housing meets the engine. This may work for you.

Shane

Thanks, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Any idea on what I'm doing with the mount?

Well when you get the motor jacked up to the bottom of the cowl you should be able to slide the bottom peice out. Now to get the rubber mount off the bracket you maybe able to get to the nut at the top. But it would be ten times easier to try to get the rounded bolt out of there and doing the mount that way.

Shane

quick35th said:
Well when you get the motor jacked up to the bottom of the cowl you should be able to slide the bottom peice out. Now to get the rubber mount off the bracket you maybe able to get to the nut at the top. But it would be ten times easier to try to get the rounded bolt out of there and doing the mount that way.

Shane

I already took the nut off the top. I only need to jack the motor to remove the bottom bracket and the rubber mount.

I have one of those extractor tools, but I have to drill a hole in the bolt to be able to use it.... and I see no way of getting the drill I have there :(. If there wasn't a lip right before the bolt, I would just grind the head off.

Thanks for the help guys!

Back