ABS question

the-big-e

I've had this problem for some time now.....

When applying the brakes, I get a buzzing noise and vibration in the brake pedal when the car slows down to below 20 mph......The buzzing / vibration will continue while driving between 10 and 20 mph without applying the brakes.

I can also hear a "clunking" sound at my left rear wheel when braking harder.

I have a master unit from a donor SC......Would it be worthwhile to swith them out?

I took the accumulator off the donor unit and put it on mine, thinking that was the problem......It didn't fix the problem and my anti-lock and brake lights would come on while braking......I put the original accumulator back on and everything is back to where it was......

Should I use this donor unit, use parts from the donor unit, or scrap the TEVES ABS system and go with something else?

The car stops fine, but my right calf muscle is getting irritated from the vibrations during the morning and afternoon commute :(

the-big-e said:
I've had this problem for some time now.....

When applying the brakes, I get a buzzing noise and vibration in the brake pedal when the car slows down to below 20 mph......The buzzing / vibration will continue while driving between 10 and 20 mph without applying the brakes.

I can also hear a "clunking" sound at my left rear wheel when braking harder.

I have a master unit from a donor SC......Would it be worthwhile to swith them out?

I took the accumulator off the donor unit and put it on mine, thinking that was the problem......It didn't fix the problem and my anti-lock and brake lights would come on while braking......I put the original accumulator back on and everything is back to where it was......

Should I use this donor unit, use parts from the donor unit, or scrap the TEVES ABS system and go with something else?

The car stops fine, but my right calf muscle is getting irritated from the vibrations during the morning and afternoon commute :(

I'm not 100% sure Eddie, but the buzzing sounds like the ABS pump. Do you have a complete spare unit?

As for the sound from the rear, that could be the brakes or a worn out bushing or maybe something else.

I remember feeling that vibration in my foot while it was buzzing. Thought it was the pump motor trying to fill the bad accumulator. Since you tried another accumulator, then maybe the pump/motor going soft and having a hard time keeping up with the accumulator?

I know the thumping in the back is the anti lock doing something.....

I have a complete ABS unit.......If you have to take the whole unit off just to replace the motor, you might as well replace the whole thing.......

Just in case, where can I get a reman unit for this TEVES system?

Is the master cylinder that hard to replace.....It doesn't LOOK that hard, if you are a contortionist......My chiropractor will love me after this job...... :D

Hey Ed, you might check the rear caliper where the E-Brake Spring Bracket goes into the caliper. Mine lost that seal big time, forcing a lot of brake fluid all over the rotor and inside of tire and rim. What a mess, but it made the caliper would slip/bind when braking causing the rotor to go bad. Maybe that is what you are feeling in that wheel. Maybe then that is causing the pump to run a lot causing a buzzing you hear more often than normal. Have you lost any significant amount of fluid? Puddle of brake fluid?
www.priorreman.com has rebuilt units and I haven't heard as many complaints about Prior as I have heard about the other source "BCI"??? or something similar. Still thinking someone like SCP or TBird88 needs to make a kit we all can purchase with prebent brake lines, vac lines, proportioning valves, and install instructions to go with a brand new Mustang or other type master cylinder unit to replace ours /hint hint hint ;) .
Also http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Tips/ABS.htm has the two M/C sources listed all the way at the bottom of that page.

Thanks for the info......I haven't noticed any brake fluid loss.....

Engine coolant, engine oil, and trans fluid.....YES......Makes for a rainbow of colors on my driveway when it rains...... :D

Like today.......

the-big-e said:
Thanks for the info......I haven't noticed any brake fluid loss.....

Engine coolant, engine oil, and trans fluid.....YES......Makes for a rainbow of colors on my driveway when it rains...... :D

Like today.......

So you never have to change the fluids or lubricants, just keep adding some. Is it snowing any there in Charlotte? They said we would get some snow mixed in with the rain, but it's just been rain so far.

Nothing yet......I can't believe that we made it through February with out any major snow....... :(

The only bad weather we have had was on my wedding day, January 29th, when we got ice, sleet, snow, freezing rain, slush.....you name it, we got it....

the-big-e said:
The only bad weather we have had was on my wedding day, January 29th, when we got ice, sleet, snow, freezing rain, slush.....you name it, we got it....
Hmmm, Somebody trying to tell you somethin??? :D Just kidding Ed :p

We have had July weather here in March :eek: (Mid 70's and sunshine galore) We only got 1/5th of our usual rain here this year.
It all went south to California, and New Mexico got all our snow... :(

the-big-e said:
I've always wanted to ask you this question......
Has your ex ever tried grass skiing? :D
:p Not YET! :D
I'm trying to talk her into Pumas Stone and sharp broken Absidian skiing on a day like below... :D

Attachments

• 050309ivan_johnson_422.jpg
    050309ivan_johnson_422.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 050309terry_mcclain_422.jpg
    050309terry_mcclain_422.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 43
That's Mt Hood in the background, I thought maybe adams/raineer at first, but since it isn't too far and southeast of helens (As I remember the plume moved east), then it has to be Hood. Shasta is in northern California. I'm not used to navigating by the arial shots..it looks flatter from above..

I've never seen it from quite that high, myself.....Looks to be somewhere around 20,000 to 25,000 over.......

Everything looks flat from about 6,000 feet and above......Except for the volcanic "pimples".......

We did some flying in Chelan, WA on the eastern side of the Cascades and were getting to 13,000 over and the mountain that we took off from was hardly noticable.......Even Lake Chelan and the Columbia River looked like little blue streaks......

Mother Nature is just awesome!!!! :eek: :D :eek:

We couldn't wait.......Scheduling conflicts and all.......

After going through 5 relationships, when you find a good one, don't let her get away.......

Right Bob...... :D

the-big-e said:
We couldn't wait.......Scheduling conflicts and all.......

After going through 5 relationships, when you find a good one, don't let her get away.......

Right Bob...... :D

Bob is sending me two of the ski lift tickets for my ex-wife. :D :D

the-big-e said:
After going through 5 relationships, when you find a good one, don't let her get away.......Right Bob...... :D
That's right Ed, the good ones are hard to find. Snag them while you can. But, somehow I don't think my ex shares this common sense though. She is marrying #7 in 2 weeks :eek: No that is not a typo.. :D The poor guy, moves all the way out here from NH or Vermont and has no clue how much she will cost him. You guys beware of the online "Ladies" /cough cough\ or you might be #8 :p

NCredSC said:
Bob is sending me two of the ski lift tickets for my ex-wife. :D :D
They are in the mail David ;)

I guess they are going to open St Helen's closest Observatory on May 7th for the 25 year anniversary from the BIG ONE. Thinking if I can get my Bird to last more than 1 week without major car surgery I might take it up there. Be cool to get a shot of it with Ms. Mt Grumbly in the background.

BobGPz said:
She is marrying #7 in 2 weeks :eek: No that is not a typo.. :D

Bob, I'm almost afraid to ask what number you were. :eek: I guess this new guy didn't pay any attention to the writing on the wall.

Eddie, are you fixing your ABS or what? :confused:

Back