Custom Front Mount, anyone interested?

fastsc92

I'm planning on building a front mount set-up and would possibly make two or more units, one for myself and sell the others off. I'm not quite sure if anyone is interested. I'm planning on the unit being placed in front of the A/C condenser. The top tube would enter were the stock IC sits now, into the front of the car. The outlet tube would return from the same location, mating up to the plenum.

Tube design would be 11 or 14 gauge 2.5" aluminum tubing. Tubes would be fully polished by hand. The tubing would be similar to where MP routes their tubes now, but both tubes would enter and exit the front of the car where the stock IC is now. The radiator would not be moved. A shorter condenser or removal would be needed however.

As for the price, I can't give a definate answer. I need to size the IC core to fit, and price out all the mandrel bent tubing. The tubes would not be in one peice, but peiced together, welded, the welds would be ground down, and then the tubes polished. I'm sure it wouldn't be flawless like a one peice design, but most would never notice.

IC core should be large like the MP unit, or the largest i can fit behind the bumper.

I estimate the entire unit would cost roughly $800-900 after all the work is being done.

I haven't even started on this project yet, but soon i will. Once i make my unit, I prob. wont be making anymore, just due to time, so not sure if anyone wants to get in on this project before i'm completed.

I'm sure there will be tons of questions. I'm 100% positive that I will be making my own kit, just not sure if anyone else is interested, if thats the case, I'll order two of everything.

Id be interested, but Id have to see some type of results before putting any money down.

Is this like the type of IC you have in mind?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7961666145&category=33742

I like those ones because of the extreme flow numbers that can be achieved with many short tubes opposed to a few long ones. And you could have the in inlet and outlet come out the same side.

http://www.bellintercoolers.com is another good site Ive looked at for ICs. Lists all the flow rates for their different sizes, good reference for researching sizes.

-Travis

Good luck fastsc92. I offered the same IC kit 1 1/2 years ago with no takers.
There's just not enough hard core hot rodders like you and I here at the SCCOA.

Maybe the case. I just figured if i was going to make my own, might as well make two at the same time. I cant see spending nearly $1500 for the MP kit, and thats my only focus.

Last edited:
here is a pic of my set-up its pretty much what you are talkin about makin your like except i havent made a return pipe yet. The inlet pipe is 3 inch and im going to make a 2.5 return pipe. it is a Bell intercooler that is good for 400 RWHP they told me. it has 3 inch endtanks. My set up so far is around 650 and should be another 80 or so for more connectors and pipe for the return pipe. Maybe that will help pricing but my pipe are mild steel.

Attachments

• cars 002_1.jpg
    cars 002_1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 502
  • cars 003_1.jpg
    cars 003_1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 482
  • cars 005_1.jpg
    cars 005_1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
I know we discussed this before but what were the dimentions of the MP kit. This one shows 24"x3"x12". I think I would like to make my own as well but it will be after my 97 is back up and running.

Chris

I have chosen a different core size for myself. The MP unit is on their website with sizes. Kit will begin contruction easter weekend with measurements and tubing bends. The following week i will order all parts and begin building the week after. Still considering making at least two kits if not 3, and selling the others. Only going to have everything apart once and its a one time shot to make a few units.

The radiator will not be moved and I have a perfect place for everything and I'm 90% sure it will fit. I will not be using that core since the overall measurement is almost 31". It will fit in there, in between the frame rails, but doesn't leave enough room for tube placement where i want to run things. Have no fear though, I've picked a slightly smaller core and cardboard mock-up with be this week.

Took everything off this weekend....and struggled so long getting the collar nut off the top...still to not get anywhere. Anyways, been planning on the front mount core, and the core will fit, but my tube routing will not. I stummbled across another core that is 11x12 with an overall of 19". This will give me about 5 inches more to play with, so i should be good. I was planning on dual 3" tubes, however...i dont think it'll fit like the MP set-up. I used two pieces of 3" exhaust in the tightest spot i could and its rubbing the hood slightly. I think i might use 3" on the top tube, and 2.5" on the bottom tube and that will give me 1/2" more room.

I did get a new dipstick for the PS pump, and cut the bracket off for the stock IC tube. Now its a matter of getting my core to fit, but I think i found the one i need...as pictured here...
36_1_b.JPG

I'll keep the updates coming, once i get the core i know will fit things should go real smooth.

I'm still doing my research. I've got contacts in a lot of places now that are searching for cores, and I should have a lot more details on Monday ( so they tell me....). If nothing comes up I plan on using a 17.5x11.75.3 core, and make a new endtank for the pass. side. The new outlet will have a transitioned bend and dirrect the tube back over to the drivers side of the car. Now i plan on using a 3in tube on top, and a 2.5" on the bottom. It should fit, but I'm hope from school for the weekend to take some more measurments and scratch my head a little more as well. Its tough being at school, and now finals are in two weeks, but I'll be home the first few days of May to work on this full time. I plan on making one kit for myself, posting pics and results and make any others to order if anyone else is interested once i'm finished.

Here's an update.

Just purchased all of my tubing and bends today. Still waiting on couplers and clamps, and the core is in the process of being purchased. New endtanks will be designed. All parts will be at my door the end of next week (21th-22th). Construction will begin April29th, and into May. Updated pics will be soon once i start welding and such......

Last edited:
fastsc92 said:
Here's an update.

Just purchased all of my tubing and bends today....total was nearly $180 for parts. Still waiting on couplers and clamps, and the core is in the process of being purchased. New endtanks will be designed. All parts will be at my door the end of next week (21th-22th). Construction will begin April29th, and into May. Updated pics will be soon once i start welding and such......
Really looking forward to seeing the outcome of it. It should go pretty smooth and straight forward. Should get it done within a couple of days.

What IC did you go with?

the IC i am planning on using is a greddy IC 18x12x3 from an integra kit. This purchase is in the works.......

seawalkersee said:
Why not just take two of your intercollers and weld them together and change the outlets to the side?

Chris
I have no idea what you're talking about.........

Basing this off your past handiwork on the SB and Headers, you can count me in. You appear to do very good work.

Back