Lowest speed rated tire recommendation for the SC Please..

mr2nice42

Well it's time for a new set of tires for my 1st SC. What is the lowest speed rating I can go to and still have good handling and look good? It is my daily driver and I am not going to race it, just want it to handle the turns when I get in the mood to go.. Any tire recommendations appreciated. Thanks! By the way I am leaning toward 235-55-16s yea or nay?

Last edited:
Z RATED!!!

Now go to tirerack.com and get some Z rated tires.

If orice is an issue I'd still rather get a Z rated Kumho then an H rated BFG ect

Best value IMO for the daily driver which has plenty of grip, ride comfort, and high speed heat shedding characteristics is an "H". I have the GY Eagle GT-HRs and have been very pleased so far. :cool:
At a minimum, read up on what the ratings really mean and then make your decision. :)

Last edited:

Attachments

• MVC-404F.JPG
    MVC-404F.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Cop Car Tires

I'm running Goodyear Eagle RS-A on both my T-Birds - the same tire cops use on Crown Vics. They seem to work well.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX Sport Suspension

245/50/16 Kumho Ecsta 711 should cost you like $57 a tire from tire rack. I have more than gotten my money's worth from these tires!

burnout1.jpg

If you want something that is really good in all weather, Kumho ECSTA HP4 716. I have had them on both my SCs and they are an excellent all around performer. You could get something to handle on dry pavement a little better like the above-mentioned tire also.

For the money I think that KUMHO are the best.

As a general rule, you should get a tire that is matched to your vehicle's design and performance capabilities. The SC came with V rated performance tires. If you want to maintain that you must get tires that are at least comperable to the OE tires.

Understand though that just because a tire has a V rating or higher doesn't mean it will provide the handling you may expect. By the same token, just because a tire has a lower speed rating doesn't mean it won't work on the car. A performance designed H rated tire will work decently on the car. A luxury type V rated tire or a truck type tire may not. Z and W rated tires will in many cases (but not all!) exceed the handling capabilities of a stock SC. This is not a bad thing, but you will often pay the price in reduced tread life and decreased wet weather traction.

As you may be able to tell many people here are recommending the least expensive tire possible that provides adequate performance. There is nothing inherently wrong with that but it should be recognized as such. While Kumho's are decent tires they certainly are not top shelf either. Bridgestone, Michelin, BFG, Yokohama and others offer superior tires if that is of interest or concern to you.

Back