Cam selection and target RPM ranges....

sizemoremk

I have been looking for some info on CAMs and all I really see is what profiles people are running, without seeing which profile is targeted at low-mid-high RPM ranges.

I would like to see a cam that is targeted at the mid range, as I will always run the M90, no FMIC, thus I don't want to rev the heck out of it, and I don't necessarily want all the power at the low end either. I have the 4R70W gearset for help on the low end, and my 60ft times my first (and only) time to the track were right at 1.9 without much trial and error... I figure the bolt ons, head/blower porting, and bigger valves will help out the low end enough to improve the 60ft times...

I am also curious what my small-med (75HP) shot of N2O means ot the cam profile...

I am wanting a cam that will put the power band around the 2K to 5K RPM range.

Anyone have any idea what cam profile that puts me in the market for, and does anyone have anything to say about my desired power range or reasoning (or lack thereof) for having these goals?

Thank you!

sizemoremk said:
I have been looking for some info on CAMs and all I really see is what profiles people are running, without seeing which profile is targeted at low-mid-high RPM ranges.

I would like to see a cam that is targeted at the mid range, as I will always run the M90, no FMIC, thus I don't want to rev the heck out of it, and I don't necessarily want all the power at the low end either. I have the 4R70W gearset for help on the low end, and my 60ft times my first (and only) time to the track were right at 1.9 without much trial and error... I figure the bolt ons, head/blower porting, and bigger valves will help out the low end enough to improve the 60ft times...

I am also curious what my small-med (75HP) shot of N2O means ot the cam profile...

I am wanting a cam that will put the power band around the 2K to 5K RPM range.

Anyone have any idea what cam profile that puts me in the market for, and does anyone have anything to say about my desired power range or reasoning (or lack thereof) for having these goals?

Thank you!

Both nitrous and blowers like wide LSA and a handicap for the exhaust. There is no need to get crazy with a cam, 210/220 duration will give a slight lope and will give you all the mid range and HP you and your M90 can handle. If you were to take the M90 powered car to the extreme, 226/336 dur would be the max you'd want to consider. Lift can fall where it may, the more the better but .500 is plenty for a screaming 1500-5500rpm range. An extreme profile would be about .580-.600 lift but you need the headwork to support it.

cam

A cam with a profile of 212/531 int and 220-539 exh will give you a range from 2000-6000 rpms and go for a lsa of 114-115. You will have good idle and good mid range power.

Thanks guys!

I just sent an email off to a guy at comp cams, found his email on another cam post.

I'll see what he can offer based on what is discussed here.

On the lift, .500 seems to be around the grey area of retaining stock springs, I've seen .550 and .495 mentioned as being the limit for stock springs. It may not matter, as I am considering the SBC valves, so I might have to get new springs anyways.

What difference would a .493 and the .500 lift... I don't fully understand the duration vs lift differences in performance... Opened longer vs opened further?

Thanks!

Back