Building a 'race' '92 Tbird...Need Wiring Help

WarriorRacer13

I'm in the middle of building a street-driven NASCAR-replica '92 Tbird for a local Motorsports Festival. The base car is an LX model (I'm crazy to take this on this project at all, but not stupid enough to cut up a SC...I'd shoot myself, before you guys shot me for doing it) Anyway, we are going all the way with it, full ground effects, paint job, spoiler, stripped interior, cage, raceseats, etc. We are also going to put a 'race' dash in it. I want to move all the factory controls that I have to keep for street-able-ness (headlights, signals, wipers, window switches, etc) to a bank of toggle switches on the dash, but the factory wiring is a daunting puzzle to say the least. I pulled out the headlight on/off plunger the other night and there are SIX or SEVEN wires into it! We just need to turn on the lights if needed...the interior dimmer is unnecessary. So what wires to use? Same with the window switches, which is up, which is down, which is ground? We could prolly figure it all out with a wiring diagram, but I've been unsuccessful finding one so far. Even the local Ford dealer's manual doesn't have a true diagram, so they said. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

good luck

you could do it and leave the stock door panels and stuff, just yank the back seat and front seats, put in a cage and an aluminum race seat up front.

or get some flat sheet metal door panels made and switch to some simple style switches to mount the switch box on the door panel.

We're taking everything out...seats, carpet, dash, everything. The doorpanels are gonna be skinned with flat aluminum, as will the back seat ans the holes for the speakers. All the switches will be on the racedash (which'll basically be a sheet of aluminm)...just like in a Cup car. What I need to know is which wires go together.

I want to flip one switch and have the parking lights and headlights (low beams) come on. I took the stock plunger switch apart to try to figure it out. I can jump wires together and get the parking lights on, but CANNOT get the headlights to come on by jumping wires together.

Same thing for the windows...I wanna use a single three-way (on-off-on) switch to go up and down. I compared the left and right windows' wire colors to try to figure out which ones raise and lower, but when I jump them together, nothing.

Same for the signals...an on-off-on switch.

I know we can figure it out with a wiring diagram, I just can't find one anywhere on the 'net.

OK, I figured out the headlights and parking lights by trial and error and now have them wired into a single flip switch. I also figured outthe windows, but have decided to simply use the facotry switch relocated under the 'race' dash. But Im still stuck on the signals and wipers and ignition. I have a wiring diagram, but haven't quite figured it out. Anybody got any ideas? Which wires need to run into a switch for each of those to make each work?

Back