Snout Seal Replacement or Just Get The Snout Rebuilt?

darkstar_one

Hey,

Well I got bored yesterday and decided to remove my engine... Well I know my SC leaked fluid but ****! I found a lake of SC Fluid underneath the SC just lying on top of the MANIFOLD. IT was like atleast 1/16th of an inch deep. And it was clear and yellowish too. Well anywho. Should i just replace the SNOUT SEAL or just send it to somebody like WYNN @ Texas Thunderbird to rebuild the snout of it for $70.00 plus shipping. I mean i dont need it like right away. I can live with just replacing the snout seal but since its already off might as well rebuild the whole snout right? But im wondering if he replaces the COUPLER.

Anywho, Anyone else can give me some estimates on how much they would charge? The whole snout rebuilt including coupler replacement.

Also, I saw that he now ports the SC's for around 300 bucks. This is a nice deal. It says on his website that he matches the plenums to the SC. Hmmmm. Thats a good deal.

Moving on... I need some estimates. I would do it myself. The snout rebuild but i know ima forget to put something back in and have like an extra screw or 2 lying around after im done. Kinda like what happened recently when i chipped my PS2. Had 2 extra bolts lying around.

If the snout is making unusual noises when it is cold or all the time then rebuilt the snout. If not then I would just replace the seal. Take your time and don't put a lot of pressure on the pulley when you remove it, you could end up bending it. Once the pulley is off, the seal can be replaced in 10-15 minutes. You can find detailed instuctions posted in other threads. Do a search on "7968" and you will find all the information you need.

Here's a thread on how and where to get a seal.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54147&highlight=seal

The seal is fairly easy to do. Careful with the pulley though it bends easy; use a backing plate and 5 ton 3 jaw puller for the reach.

... Also, please mind the choice of words when describing your problems ... ;) Use a few *** .. we'll get the point.

i'm gonna try to get ahold of a bad blower. I hope it's a '89-'93 for Really cheap and practice porting BUT i need to find a blower for CHEAP. i want it to still spin but it doesn't really have to be in good condition. I just want a practice blower and then i can figure out how to port. I think i could do it and maybe offer it. Unless somebody wants to donate one :D Also by the way Wynn is GREAT to deal with. He does nice work and is pretty fast about getting back to you. He's been REALLY busy lately so be patient. I would go with the rebuild and port while it's off if you don't mind spendin' the money. I've seen his polished idlers and some stuff that he does. Very nice. Email him and find out how much for the stuff you want done. :cool:

darkstar_one said:
....but i know ima forget to put something back in and have like an extra screw or 2 lying around after im done. Kinda like what happened recently when i chipped my PS2. Had 2 extra bolts lying around.

Thats a good thing, it means that you were able to put the PS2 back together more efficiently than the people at the factory...I am soooo efficient when putting my car together that i can prolly build a second one with all the extra parts i have......

Back