How do i remove the rear coils?

Jeremy_K

I need to swap my rear coil springs for my lowering springs. In the Ford service manual it says to use those spring cages. there's 3 of them that go around the spring to keep it compressed while you remove it. I don't have those things. is there another way to take them out without them killing me?

i

with the car supported i unbolt the lower control arm, unhook the swaybar, and that usually relieves enough strain so you can pull the spring out-ive installed 5 sets of lowering springs and have never used any special tools for the rear-the front i use a spring compressor-Mike

You don't need any cages or spring compressors; just disconnect the shock and sway bar linkage (should use shorter sway bar links with lower springs anyway). I'd also unbolt the caliper and tie it off to one side because the parking brake cable can get in the way (remove the cable hook-up off the back of the caliper if you want). Sometimes you can squeeze the old springs out by pushing down hard on the lower control arm; but I'd recommend unbolting the lower control arm at the 2 bushings - it'll be much easier and mark the relationship of the arms to the bushings with some paint. You'll need to make sure they match-up again when you re-assemble and torque up the bolts. Don't forget to install NEW spring cushions top & bottom of the springs otherwise it may sit too low compared to the lowered front & take precautions to protect the drive shaft CV boot, as it'll be well stretched when you lower the control arm (good idea to put a shallow jack stand or jack under the shaft to support it.
Good Luck.

Joisey Jim said:
You don't need any cages or spring compressors; just disconnect the shock and sway bar linkage (should use shorter sway bar links with lower springs anyway). I'd also unbolt the caliper and tie it off to one side because the parking brake cable can get in the way (remove the cable hook-up off the back of the caliper if you want). Sometimes you can squeeze the old springs out by pushing down hard on the lower control arm; but I'd recommend unbolting the lower control arm at the 2 bushings - it'll be much easier and mark the relationship of the arms to the bushings with some paint. You'll need to make sure they match-up again when you re-assemble and torque up the bolts. Don't forget to install NEW spring cushions top & bottom of the springs otherwise it may sit too low compared to the lowered front & take precautions to protect the drive shaft CV boot, as it'll be well stretched when you lower the control arm (good idea to put a shallow jack stand or jack under the shaft to support it.
Good Luck.
Where can I get shorter sway bar links? Are they absolutely neccessary to complete the job? I have 1.5" lowering springs and KYB shocks. I have the new spring isolators already. Thanks for the info.

If you are keeping the stock sway bar the best thing to do is to measure the existing link and then go to somewhere like PepBoys and buy ones 1.5" shorter. They sell the straight links with urethane bushings. Just make sure you replace them with the car on ramps - don't do it with each wheel up on jack stands, as you'll likely bend the link when you let it down. Buy the ones with with 3/8" bolts and just drill out the existing holes in the sway bar (I think they are 1/4"). Alternatively you can go to Addco (the sway bar maker) and buy their links for a 1.5" lowered car. All the aftermarket links (for the rear) are now straight rods versus the stock ones, with swivel joints.

Joisey Jim said:
If you are keeping the stock sway bar the best thing to do is to measure the existing link and then go to somewhere like PepBoys and buy ones 1.5" shorter. They sell the straight links with urethane bushings. Just make sure you replace them with the car on ramps - don't do it with each wheel up on jack stands, as you'll likely bend the link when you let it down. Buy the ones with with 3/8" bolts and just drill out the existing holes in the sway bar (I think they are 1/4"). Alternatively you can go to Addco (the sway bar maker) and buy their links for a 1.5" lowered car. All the aftermarket links (for the rear) are now straight rods versus the stock ones, with swivel joints.
Thanks, I got the rear springs and shocks on last night. i just used the stock links for now. the car is definately lowered. it looks pretty good. it rides harsh though. i'm gonna need a spare set of kidneys.

What springs did you put on that are that harsh? I used the Tokico 1.25" lower springs on my '93 and they were ok (although most articles say they are not performance rated). On my 94 I used 1" lower Eibach's and I definitely can't get used to there soft initial ride; so much so that if I don't keep it on "firm ride" all the time, I bottom out on my high flow cats and resonator on a bumpy road.

Back