Stalling and surging 35th anny SC

moore89

Ok, For a little while my car has been giving me some problems so I've been limiting my driving until I get my daily driver put back together. My SC has been running warm (at or a little past the M in norm on the temp gauge) and has been puffing very small amounts of mist out of the exhaust (I also can see bubbles coming up the overflow tank). My first thought was a headgaskt is starting to go, but the car still drove normally. And a little before that started the car would sometimes not want to start after driving it (cranks but no start, I also checked the fuel pressure port and I only got one spurt fo fuel out of it and it seemed less than what should be in there). I would have to try a few times over 15-20 minutes and then it would start. And lately It has died twice out of nowhere going down the road (no sputtering or surgng just all the gauges dropped and I got the buzzer sound). Also I had to drive it yesterday to work and went to pass someone, it ran fine until I passed 5 psi on the boost gauge then the engine started surging. I still think one of the headgaskets are going but would that cause all of these problems? any comments or input would be very helpfull.

Sounds like......

The headgasket is really ready to let go. If you have gases in the coolant, it's already gone. You are probably getting a poor mixture of air/fuel due to the coolant leak into the cylinder. This would also cause the surge your talking about. The fuel issue is probably related. The lean condition of low fuel pressure might have caused your gasket failure due to high combustion temps.

I would take the car off the road, fix the gaskets and check the fuel pressure. Chances are, the fuel pump or filter or regulator are crapping out.

Hope all goes well for you!!!

Don

Yah I was afraid of that. The thing is I need the car for another week to get to work because I have my other cars engine torn down and I am waiting on my rebuild kit to get in. Driving it for a limited time (keeping it out of the boost) more probably wouldn't be good at all would it?

If you have to use it.....

Loosen the radiator cap to the safety lock, (first click). This will relieve any pressure from building in the coolant system.

Second, don't get on it hard. Just drive normally. Try to keep out of boost (can be done) or remove the supercharger belt from the supercharger letting the car run like a 3.8 N/A.

This will totally make the car just like a 3.8 V-6 in an LX. This should let you make another week.

Check the oil for water mixed. If mixed, you should not drive it if you plan to NOT REBUILD the motor.

Good luck.....

Don

Thanks for the reply and advise there is no water mixed in the oil that I can see. And there is only a small amount of moisture in the exhaust, it looks like it does on a mildy cold morning just puffing every now and then.

I just ran into another thing may cause my fuel pump to act up. I just ran the car for a little while and when I turned the car off I noticed the fuel pump was still running and did not stop until I tapped on the cut off switch in the trunk. I did not trip the switch though just tapped it.

Back