Problems With Heads!

darkstar_one

Hey, I need to know how to remove 3 rocker arm bolts, they are stripped already. I already tried hammering in a 3/8 12 point socket with no luck. Anyone?

Sears sells a bolt extractor for removing bolts with the heads stripped. BTW, the bolts on the motor are metric.

David

You could have the bolt heads machined off......That would at least get the rocker arms off.......Then you could get to the actual bolt / stud with a set of vise grips.......

For stubborn bolts, I use a product from Kano Labs called Kroil Oil......I swear by that stuff.......It works great.....I've used it on everything from the seatbelt retractor, to squeakey door hinges, to rusted exhaust bolts.......

David Neibert said:
Sears sells a bolt extractor for removing bolts with the heads stripped. BTW, the bolts on the motor are metric.

David

Irwin makes a better set and it is cheaper. They have them at home depot, and Autozone as well. Not sure which place is cheaper.

I bought the sears ones, and the flutes were just ripped off, but I read somewhere that the Irwin brand ones were better. So I took the sears ones back and got the Irwin ones. I guess they were better because I've used them several times now, and the flutes on the Irwin ones are still intact...

In the event that the first ideas dont work (they are good ideas but I know how the aluminum can bond with the steel) TACK weld (and I stress tack because you dont want too much heat) a nut to the bolt. The heat will help if you get it good and then back it out.

Chris

I have an extra good stock head sitting in my garage here in San Diego if you want it??

HSKR said:
I have an extra good stock head sitting in my garage here in San Diego if you want it??

only if they are free.. i will take care of the shipping :D :p

if they arent then it will be on my maybe list... cuz ima grind the bolt down and if that doesnt work then ima have to cut off the rocker arm in 2 and just get some off of a donor car from the junk yard or something... but yeah its gonna have to wait until the skies clear cuz rain is suppose to move overnight and that is gonna delay me big time.... oh yeah one more thing.... are the rocker arms the same for NA car? cuz if they are then i guess im saved... cuz i have a NA 3.8 from a 89 bird in my garage...

Last edited:
Im telling you...weld a nut on the top of it and your problems will disappear. If you try the rest of that crap, you are only going to wast your time and get frusturated.

Chris

I've used that proceedure in the past, as well.......

Give it a try.......If you can't weld, then take it to a local welding / machine shop.........

It might cost a few bucks to get those bolts out......

the-big-e said:
For stubborn bolts, I use a product from Kano Labs called Kroil Oil......I swear by that stuff.......It works great.....I've used it on everything from the seatbelt retractor, to squeakey door hinges, to rusted exhaust bolts.......
I haven't found anything better than Kroil. Been using Kroil for over 10 years.

As for the rocker arm bolt problem, welding a nut on the top does sound like a good idea.

Aero-Kroil is a great product, but I doubt it will help with a stripped hex. The nut welding is a great idea, I've used it several times in the past, the maintenance men where I work do it all the time.

As for the engine bolts being metric...I know this is true for 4.6 engines...everything is metric, but on the 3.8 on my 94, I've found that it has a combination of metric and english threads all over the engine. I actually haven't checked pitches and diameters, but as far as the hex on the end of the bolt, try the bellhousing bolts. They aren't 13mm and they aren't 12mm. They are 1/2" on the hex. My 12-point 13mm socket almost destroyed one of my bolts before I got wise...

Kurt K said:
I haven't found anything better than Kroil. Been using Kroil for over 10 years.

As for the rocker arm bolt problem, welding a nut on the top does sound like a good idea.

yeah thats what i hate about FORD, cant decide to go with one thing. Oh well as long as i get the engine off and take it into the garage i will weld some el cheapo sockets to it. Let me give it a spin..

darkstar_one said:
only if they are free.. i will take care of the shipping :D :p

if they arent then it will be on my maybe list... cuz ima grind the bolt down and if that doesnt work then ima have to cut off the rocker arm in 2 and just get some off of a donor car from the junk yard or something... but yeah its gonna have to wait until the skies clear cuz rain is suppose to move overnight and that is gonna delay me big time.... oh yeah one more thing.... are the rocker arms the same for NA car? cuz if they are then i guess im saved... cuz i have a NA 3.8 from a 89 bird in my garage...

Yes, free is what the price will be. I can send you both heads if you want, but one is cracked across the spark plug holes into the water jacket. The ohter is just fine.

Back