PDA

View Full Version : 01 BMW 540i

Payton
03-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Buddy of mine is getting 2001 BMW 540i. They run 14.0-14.3 1/4 mile.
Do you think I can smoke him with my mods?
255 lb/hr Walbro fuel pump
38 lb/hr Ford Fuel Injectors
87mm Pro-M MAF
Cone Air filter
3 Intake Tube
75mm Throttle Body
Double Intercooler
8 Intercooler Fan
180oF Thermostat
Ported Inlet Plenum
Ported Blower
10% SC Pulley
Custom Exhaust
B&N Shift Kit
3.73 gears
EEC Tuner
Car will be tuned by XR7Dave
What time should I run, anyways?
Thank you

pablon2
03-18-2005, 12:56 AM
Well, I say it'll be close. I give you the advantage. If you had an MPII blower, MP intake plenum, and 3.73 gears I'd say for sure you'll win, but not sure of the porting you had done, so I'll say it'll be close. Maybe a situation where the race is lost due to the driver and not the car, which is usually the case when matchups are tight.

255 lb/hr fuel pump
87mm Pro-M MAF
Cone Air filter
3.5 Intake Tube
75mm Throttle Body
Double Intercooler
10 Intercooler Fan
180oF Thermostat
Raised Top
Ported Inlet Plenum
Ported Blower
10% Pulley
Custom Exhaust
ECU Tuner
Car will be tuned by Dave XR7
Thank you

Payton
03-25-2005, 08:00 AM
255 lb/hr fuel pump
87mm Pro-M MAF
Cone Air filter
3.5 Intake Tube
75mm Throttle Body
Double Intercooler
10 Intercooler Fan
180oF Thermostat
Raised Top
Ported Inlet Plenum
Ported Blower
10% Pulley
Custom Exhaust
B&N SHift Kit
3.73 gears
ECU Tuner
Thank you
What should I run 1/4 mile?

pablon2
03-25-2005, 09:27 AM
I would say high 13s. Anyone else care to say?

What should I run 1/4 mile?

hytorksc
03-25-2005, 11:55 AM
He's not going to get you out of the hole, you will be ahead by a car length, but he might reel you in slowly at the top end. If your car does everything perfectly (launch, shifting points, etc.), you will probably beat him.

i had the experience of running an m3 (late '90s model), they will reel you in on top, but slowly, imo, and i don't have all the mods you have.

Payton
03-25-2005, 12:14 PM
He's not going to get you out of the hole, you will be ahead by a car length, but he might reel you in slowly at the top end. If your car does everything perfectly (launch, shifting points, etc.), you will probably beat him.

i had the experience of running an m3 (late '90s model), they will reel you in on top, but slowly, imo, and i don't have all the mods you have.
Sounds good, real good! ;)

hytorksc
03-25-2005, 12:41 PM
You see, what hurts a supercoupe is it's weight, not it's power level. SC's slow down on top which accounts for lower than average trap speeds for a given ET. But, what makes the SC special is that low end response.. a 14 sec SC really launches and feels like a normally aspirated 13 sec car until it gets past 95 mph or so, then it starts to fall back. The problem is not the low end- these cars need alot of attention on improving the high end.

imo, Coy Miller's SC trapped 10.85 at 127ish, but any other similarly built up N/A car or turbo car that is lighter would have trapped 10's at 138ish to 140+ mph. This means that Coy's car felt off the line like it was going to do 9's, but slowed at the top end reflecting the lower trap speed for running 10's. Just my opinion, hopefully this does not offend anyone.

Payton
03-25-2005, 01:54 PM
You see, what hurts a supercoupe is it's weight, not it's power level. SC's slow down on top which accounts for lower than average trap speeds for a given ET. But, what makes the SC special is that low end response.. a 14 sec SC really launches and feels like a normally aspirated 13 sec car until it gets past 95 mph or so, then it starts to fall back. The problem is not the low end- these cars need alot of attention on improving the high end.

imo, Coy Miller's SC trapped 10.85 at 127ish, but any other similarly built up N/A car or turbo car that is lighter would have trapped 10's at 138ish to 140+ mph. This means that Coy's car felt off the line like it was going to do 9's, but slowed at the top end reflecting the lower trap speed for running 10's. Just my opinion, hopefully this does not offend anyone.
How do you improve the high end on a SC? :confused:

hytorksc
03-25-2005, 02:31 PM
I referred to high end meaning high rpm horsepower, which is what counts the most when you are trying to beat any car in a race.
That's what most of us are trying to do in this forum. Problem with that is it's very expensive to do, and I for one don't have the money (as usual) to add that kind of hp to my 3.8 v6, but one day hopefully i will. The top end power is referred to as horsepower, as in the engine's peak power output. The SC's 3.8 v6 is supercharged, and the heads on this engine are terrible in terms of flow capabilities. And there are some design flaws too. This car originally was not designed to be a racer, and the way engine breathing components were designed reflect that. It was never intended for power outputs higher than the 200hp range. I saw that you are getting your car tuned by XR7Dave, he is the top expert with these cars.

Mike Puckett
03-27-2005, 12:35 AM
I would say from my experiences that with a tune you'll be able to run some good high 13's with your mods but you need to get your heads ported to run solid mid 13's. The tune really picks up the high end or at least it did on mine but a good port job will really do it for you. The tune on mine picks up my trap speeds from 102 to 107.

Jake
03-27-2005, 12:54 AM
I would pick up some drag radials they will help you out of the hole. The last thing you need is wheel spin with these cars. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Brandon
03-27-2005, 10:27 AM
I would think you could possibly hit high 13s....I ran a 14.03 with stock injectors, stock supercharger (5% overdrive), no raised top, and no tune, but I did have an MP FMIC and an Art Carr Extreme AOD. So I think you could possibly pull off a 13.9. Definitely get drag radials like someone else suggested.

255 lb/hr fuel pump
87mm Pro-M MAF
Cone Air filter
3.5 Intake Tube
75mm Throttle Body
Double Intercooler
10 Intercooler Fan
180oF Thermostat
Raised Top
Ported Inlet Plenum
Ported Blower
10% Pulley
Custom Exhaust
B&N SHift Kit
3.73 gears
ECU Tuner
Thank you

Payton
03-31-2005, 01:05 AM
I would pick up some drag radials they will help you out of the hole. The last thing you need is wheel spin with these cars. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
What do I do with my car to get 13 flat?! :rolleyes:

Scott Long
04-11-2005, 09:39 AM
big valve heads and a new cam.

Payton
04-11-2005, 11:12 AM
big valve heads and a new cam.
Yes, I thought about that, but it is too expensive for me to afford at the moment.
:rolleyes:

90blkbrd
04-11-2005, 12:41 PM

The main reason the SC motor doesn't have a high horsepower and torque at higher RPM's is it's inefficient M90 super changer.

Payton has basically all the same parts as Jake, except Jake has the MPFMIC. He put an AR supercharger on his and he pulled 334.71 rwhp and 376.43 torque at 5700 rpm. All bolt on's.

I would loved to have seen Coy Miller bolt on an AR and do it again. But that ain't going to happen.

hytorksc
04-16-2005, 11:18 PM
i agree with you. the m90 is limited, inefficient, and in my opinion is too small for the air flow needed to generate the power levels necessary to run fast (on the top end) and overcome the SC's weight. m90 by design when applied to the 3.8 was not meant to generate high power levels over 200hp.

Payton
04-17-2005, 09:09 AM
i agree with you. the m90 is limited, inefficient, and in my opinion is too small for the air flow needed to generate the power levels necessary to run fast (on the top end) and overcome the SC's weight. m90 by design when applied to the 3.8 was not meant to generate high power levels over 200hp.
They are fast cars in my book, considering how old they are

hytorksc
04-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Yes, with 315 ft lbs down low, they always felt much quicker than they really are. Back in those days, punching out torque that big down low was unheard of for a production car (with the 5.0 mustang being the other exception). :cool:

Payton
09-13-2006, 09:02 AM
I went to the track last Sunday. Best time was 13.83 @ 99 mph. Have some learning to do!

mywhite89
09-14-2006, 10:10 AM
so did you ever go up against your buddies 540 he was going to buy?

Payton
09-14-2006, 04:24 PM
so did you ever go up against your buddies 540 he was going to buy?
He bought a 330 instead. I can kill him any time I want now