3.73 gears

Payton

Considering going with 3.73 gears for my 92 Auto.
Where I can get it installed and what will it cost me? :eek:

i am also going to do 3.73 gears this spring and was wondering if anyone knew a trustworthy place to get them done at in the burlington, oakville, missisauga area

Payton said:
BTW, is there a difference between 3.73 and 3.73:1 gears? :confused:

3.73:1 is the ratio between the ring and the pinion gear. I think, and correct me if i'm wrong, for every 3.73 rotations of your driveshaft your wheels turn once

Ed is the man to talk to if you need to buy them. Cheapest 3:73s I know of (cost wise), and he could probrably hook up with a place that will install.

charged92 said:
Ed is the man to talk to if you need to buy them. Cheapest 3:73s I know of (cost wise), and he could probrably hook up with a place that will install.
Thank you for the tips!

Payton said:
Would I need to run a torque convertor if I change my gears to 3:73???
Went to Ford Dealership, they charge 600$ for installation :eek:

You sure you want to run so stiff?

I have a '93 5Spd with 3:27 vice factory 2:73 and 1st gear is virtually useless. I believe autos came stock with 3:27. If you do a lot of highway miles, you may like what you already have. Can anyone out there with an auto running 3:73 tell us what your engine is turning at 120 Km/hr?

I think I'll go back to 2:73. I don't street race but like to watch those Bimmer faces dissappear in the mirror on the 400 series roadways. They don't like it much when they have their pedal punched and some Ford is pulling away AND still shifting.

tbirdsc357 said:
I paid $250 for the gears and I think $200 for the installation.
Hey Steve, where about in Newmarket???? :( I couldn't find them, dude. Are they still in business? :eek: :D

Hey Payton,

Here's another place to do the gears. I have/do deal with them, very good guys.

Parkway Transmission
2310 Battleford Rd. Unit #1
Mississauga
(905) 813-7330
Glenn Smith

tbirdsc357 said:
TDS Trans. in Newmarket will install them for you....they did my 3:55's
Great place to go to!!! Talk to John! Great customer service, unbeatable prices! ;)

Payton said:
Would I need to run a torque convertor if I change my gears to 3:73???
Went to Ford Dealership, they charge 600$ for installation :eek:

You won't need to touch your converter, Payton. I would actually recommend against it. What you have in there stock is fine and for what little you'd gain it wouldn't be worth it - especially at THAT price. Leave your stock converter in place.

As for gears, it really depends on what you're after. If you want all-out strip performance, without any regard for how the car is on the road (talking shift points and rpms) then go for it. 3.73's would be the best choice.

Judging by your posting you won't like them though. You should stick with 3.27's.

lazybird4pt6 said:
You won't need to touch your converter, Payton. I would actually recommend against it. What you have in there stock is fine and for what little you'd gain it wouldn't be worth it - especially at THAT price. Leave your stock converter in place.

As for gears, it really depends on what you're after. If you want all-out strip performance, without any regard for how the car is on the road (talking shift points and rpms) then go for it. 3.73's would be the best choice.

Judging by your posting you won't like them though. You should stick with 3.27's.
Actually, I do like them, Andrew. I installed them two months ago and I've been have since))) It's a little bit restrictive on the highway, but since I have a double IC and ported supercharger and Inlet it really doesn't matter. BTW, tonight I was doing over 200 on the DVP, trying to smoke a 2004 Lexus 430 and Nissan 350Z))) I was doing preatty good with those guys, but then I chicken down, cauz I don't really miss being pulled over)))
Why did I come up with that thread??? Jus twanted to give another good reference to those guys in Newmarket, just in case somebody decides to do gears or any transmission work!

Back