Engine Swap

Chippen

Hi,
I do not own a thunderbird yet. I own a mustang 3.8l and was looking to make a unique car. I know it is going to get smoked by GTs so im hoping to get it at least up to par with some 5.0s. I was planning on turning to the super coupe 3.8l due to its compatibility and its virtualy the same as mine, just the supercoupe version is a way better version than my version/the standard t bird.
I know mustangs have a weight advantage with their 3.8 and have a few things the bone stock t bird doesnt have, but its still not as good as a supercoupe v6. Do any of you know exactly how compatible this engine is. I know it uses the same mounts, but are the transmissions the same, and is the computer and wiring harness the same for both engines?
Thanks for any info.

What year Mustang is it?

You can bolt on a SC top end... You will need the intake, supercharger, associated plemums, intercooler and plumbing, thirttoel body, bigger injectors, fuel rail, pullies and other accesory brackets, possibly the heads, are yours the splt port head?

That may not be the whole list, but it would be quite an involved swap.

I would keep your stock computer and sensors as much as possile and tune it, I assume you have the newer OBDII computer, and more tuning otions...

There is at least one guy on this board that runs a SC engine in a 94 mustang, he would proably be able to tell you exactly what to do. His board name is "BKB"

Of course the 5.0 or even carbed 302 would probably cost about the same and be easier to get power out of.

I know if I didn't have a 35th, I would seriously consider a big 460 swap.... My plan now is to get a little more out of this SC and be done with it. I will look for the real power in several more years by putting a blown 460 in a Lincoln Towncar, you don't see that everyday :D

Last edited:
it can be done but just like he said it is very expensive though go with a 5.0 much better I have a full sc 3.8 if you want it super carger and all came out of 90 5 speed but it is easier to do a 5.0 and then you can actually find parts

Is it "proper" to offer stuff for sale in the tech forum?

I asked becasue I started to offer this guy my SC and accessories from my soon to be parts car last night, but figured I should keep it to a PM.

Just curious...

Last edited:
Back