Radiator Fan

Supercouper91

Hey,
I need some help. My radiator fan has completely stopped working. Before it quit it was making funny noises. Are there any bearings in the eletric motor that might have gone bad? Why would it have completely stopped working? I didn't see a fuse, is there one that I may have missed? Can I just replace the motor and if so how hard is it? Are there any aftermarket fans that will fit in the stock location without any mods? Thanks in advance for any help that you all might be able to help me with.

You can check your old one out, by hooking it up directly to the battery; I don't know the wire colors off the top of my head, but with a DC Motor, it doesn't really matter; it would run in reverse, but you just want to see that it runs. If yours was making noises, I'd replace it. There are plenty available from the sellers here and on eBay. :)

Last edited:
My fan quit working, as well.....I ordered the replacement from Summit........

I hooked the original fan up to the battery and it worked, so I cancelled my order with Summit and re-installed the old one.......

It worked for a while then quit.......

I heard that the ECT switch sends a low voltage signal (.6 V) to tell the fan to turn on........If you hook the fan direct to the battery, it will work fine with the higher voltage........

This was just my observation on this.........Am I right or wrong?

Definitely test it via a direct battery connection first. There are 3 wires, hopefully the ground is black and the other 2 (red & blue I recall) are for the 2 speeds - so you want to test both speeds. Quite offen the low speed winding (most used) could go bad but the high speed remain. If it runs then it's either a fuse (94/95 models), the fusible link (89-93) or possibly a bad IRCM relay. If you have a code reader/scanner or know how to jump the EEC test connector - that will also cause the fan to run & point you in the direction of the IRCM if it doesn't (but works via the battery). Replacement motors (2 speed) are available thru people like AutoZone for about $100. You just have to carefully use a small puller to get the old fan blade off. Yo don't want to go to Ford, as they only sell the whole fan shroud assembly for over $350.

Ford wanted to sell me one for $450.00 and I just about puked......When they thought I was going to walk, they lowered the price to $275.00, but it didn't make me feel any better........

I asked the service manager if it came with dinner, movie, and a tube of KY jelly..... :eek:

I might try taking the fan blade off the motor and repair or replace the motor.

Thanks for the info. Can somebody tell me how to repair a fusible link that was mentioned above and where it is located? Thanks again

If I am not mistaken, the fuse is located under and attached to the windshield washer tank.....I do not believe that it is repairable as that fuse is contained in a gel like substance......

If this is what you need and cannot find one, I've got a spare.....

Back