newer style gas tank

Supercouper91

Can somebody tell me if the gas tank from 93-97? gas tank will fit a 91 suoercoupe? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes

It will fit fine. However, the exhaust on the later models is routed more directly in the middle of the tank not around the side like earlier. So this means you have to change the rear half of the exhaust to later model. This is actually a good thing in most cases because there are several exhausts made for late model and not for early model. This is a common swap for this reason. John.

Don't forget to get the strap with your new gas tank! The older style strap will not work without modifications. A new gasket on the sending unit is also recommended.

The tank is actually two plastic halves. The heat shields are an integral part of the tank and are spot welded around the plastic halves. One strap is part of that assembly, the other strap is separate.

gldiii said:
Don't forget to get the strap with your new gas tank! The older style strap will not work without modifications. A new gasket on the sending unit is also recommended.
I just did this conversion on my 91 and my stock strap worked fine. :confused:
I put in a new 255 lph fuel pump and just installed the new tank (94 model) with no problems or modifications. Maybe I got lucky. :)

Supercouper91 said:
Can somebody tell me if the gas tank from 93-97? gas tank will fit a 91 suoercoupe? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I do not know where you live, but I have one here at the house you or anyone can have. I live in East Tennessee.

What I meant to ask is would a gas tank from a Cougar of those years fit in the Bird. Sorry for not putting that originally. Also I live in NM but thanks for the offer I really appreciate it.

Supercouper91 said:
What I meant to ask is would a gas tank from a Cougar of those years fit in the Bird. Sorry for not putting that originally. Also I live in NM but thanks for the offer I really appreciate it.

Yes! I install the above into a 89 Cougar. They are basically the same car.

Supercouper91 said:
I have a 94 Cougar gas tank in my T-Bird. You live in Las Cruces right?

Back