PDA

View Full Version : Valve Covers

Super XR7
03-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Any interest in different valve covers? I am currently working on some replacement valve covers for our cars, is there any interest in something like this? The design in incomplete but you can get a flavor for what I am doing. Lacking the oil fill and the crankcase vents. All machined out of aluminum. and features top cover that can be removed for adjusting valves, etc.[IMG]

Mike Tuck

fastsc92
03-18-2005, 10:51 PM
I love Solid Works

XxSlowpokexX
03-20-2005, 01:56 AM
I likeeeeee......yup likkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeee.

cougarsc
03-20-2005, 02:03 AM
Looks good. I like the removable top.

MIKE 38sc
03-20-2005, 03:53 PM
I like them. How much is the projected cost of these? How soon will they be made? :) Can I have something else engraved on them?

XxSlowpokexX
03-20-2005, 07:57 PM
I definately dont want that egraved on em!..But yah but much and can we get bungs welded in if need be?

Super XR7
03-21-2005, 06:29 AM
What would you guys like to have engraved in the top? Ford Racing? Supercoupe? Give me your ideas. I plan on making them very soon, not sure what the cost will be, not until I get the design complete, material quotes, time on the machine, etc. I am definitly going to make them and hope to start next month on a protoype set.

Mike Tuck

Super XR7
03-21-2005, 06:30 AM
I like them. How much is the projected cost of these? How soon will they be made? :) Can I have something else engraved on them?

Mike, see above post. Do you have any pictures of your fuel rails?

Mike Tuck

cougarsc
03-21-2005, 02:21 PM
How about a T-bird logo or a Cougar logo? Also you could include a Lexan cover for car shows.

MIKE 38sc
03-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Mike, see above post. Do you have any pictures of your fuel rails?

Mike Tuck

Mike I'm not sure what if anything at all I would want engraved, maybe just plain as I'm into stealth pretty heavy. That brings me to the fuel rails. Those baby's are back in my black room(or skunkworks LOL!!) so there's no pictures that will be posted of them. They dont fit an Eaton application anyway and are part of a custom job, once the customer has them he can post pics if he wants. I've done a couple of custom 1 off jobs for guy's and I dont tell the details about them.
There was a fella that posted pics of the fuel rails he's working on, maybe he's gonna sell a kit. I really doubt that I'll sell fuel rail kits because there's just not much of a market for high perf SC parts. The cost of tooling up for such projects is so high that you just cannot recoupe the costs with that small of a market.
I like the design of your valve covers very much but if the cost ends up being around the cost of stockers or alittle higher dont expect to sell many sets. But on the otherhand if you get them Chrome or Gold plated or Anodized and maybe powdercoated you may sell truck loads of them. Bling Bling sells much better than high perf. :)

Super XR7
03-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Mike I'm not sure what if anything at all I would want engraved, maybe just plain as I'm into stealth pretty heavy. That brings me to the fuel rails. Those baby's are back in my black room(or skunkworks LOL!!) so there's no pictures that will be posted of them. They dont fit an Eaton application anyway and are part of a custom job, once the customer has them he can post pics if he wants. I've done a couple of custom 1 off jobs for guy's and I dont tell the details about them.
There was a fella that posted pics of the fuel rails he's working on, maybe he's gonna sell a kit. I really doubt that I'll sell fuel rail kits because there's just not much of a market for high perf SC parts. The cost of tooling up for such projects is so high that you just cannot recoupe the costs with that small of a market.
I like the design of your valve covers very much but if the cost ends up being around the cost of stockers or alittle higher dont expect to sell many sets. But on the otherhand if you get them Chrome or Gold plated or Anodized and maybe powdercoated you may sell truck loads of them. Bling Bling sells much better than high perf. :)

Thanks for the info. On the fuel rails, I will go ahead and make my own as I have not seen anything that catches my eye. I am looking for performance and the bling bling.
Thanks,
Mike

Super XR7
03-21-2005, 05:29 PM
How about a T-bird logo or a Cougar logo? Also you could include a Lexan cover for car shows.

I think that I will do the "Mercury Racing" on the prototype (I have a Cougar), could also design up one with a T-Bird logo for the Thunderbirds. I will work on that.
I am not sure about Lexan, as it would be covered in oil shortly after start up.?

Thanks for the contribution.
Mike T.

Nettlesd
03-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Hey Mike,

Could you make mine with "Fill with Oil only", "Use only Automotive Oil" or "Oil and Anti-Freeze don't mix". :p

Looks great Mike. Are you going to the Dayton meet?

supercatxr7
03-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Looks great, I like the idea and would be interested depending on price.

seawalkersee
03-23-2005, 11:15 PM
I would be interested if you could engrave a t-bird on it. I would like to know what kind of gasket I am up against for that top piece. As for the bottom piece... use the empregnated rubber from the 99-04 3.8s. The bolts hold better (probably cause mine are worn out) but the gasket material works better.

Chris

Super XR7
03-24-2005, 08:17 PM
I would be interested if you could engrave a t-bird on it. I would like to know what kind of gasket I am up against for that top piece. As for the bottom piece... use the empregnated rubber from the 99-04 3.8s. The bolts hold better (probably cause mine are worn out) but the gasket material works better.

Chris

The top will seal with a high temp oil resistant o-ring. As for the top design, I am still in the final design phase.
Mike

XxSlowpokexX
03-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Actually a Tbird engraved would be kick ***..Along with perhaps thunderbird in script written below it

seawalkersee
03-25-2005, 02:34 AM
YEAH...Like on the oldschool y-block 292 and 312s. I would be SOOOO in for a set.

Chris

Super XR7
04-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Here is the first piece of the prototype valve covers and it is for my personal vehicle (Cougar XR7). I plan on making more if I can get the pricing reasonable (group purchase of 10). Give me some ideas on what you guys would want for a top cover and we can go from there. I am open to making two or three different designs but no more than that. I plan on powder coating mine black and painting the top of the lettering yellow to go with my "Super XR7" top. The slots will be chamfered bringing out the aluminum.
Also in the design will be a oil fill in the same place but will not stick up like the OEM and the covers will have vents in the rear that will connect to the throttle body inlet plenum. So now you have it, lets come up with some ideas for all that are interested. This will be a one of many summer projects on my lists of things to do, provided there is enough interest.
Mike Tuck

supercatxr7
04-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Looks real nice. I like the covers you made for your car. I would be interested in the same.

thanks,
mark

XxSlowpokexX
04-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..I think in my case 3.8 supercharged would be cool being I no longer have an IC tubes that say what it is....

Or the Tbird Symbol with 3.8 supercharged underneath...Now as far as oil fill and any venting..Any ideas>?

Super XR7
04-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..I think in my case 3.8 supercharged would be cool being I no longer have an IC tubes that say what it is....

Or the Tbird Symbol with 3.8 supercharged underneath...Now as far as oil fill and any venting..Any ideas>?

Damon, see my previous post. I edited it with that info.
Mike

Super XR7
04-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Here are some pictures.
With the OEM valve covers
Without the valve covers
With the prototype cover

XxSlowpokexX
04-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Ya need to color up them covers a bit..But knowing you Im sure ya will when done!

seawalkersee
04-10-2005, 09:09 PM
How about putting a thunderbird emblem on one side all the way down the cover, and on the other side put the thunderbird like the oldschool t-birds had it and then an italisized sc after it as well. I dunno if you can do this without a bunch o hassle but it might sell to have different covers.

Chris

LIL QIK
04-10-2005, 09:27 PM
I like'm............How bout just having "Supercharged" on them.......and will they be tall enough for a rocker stud girdle?

cougarsc
04-10-2005, 10:42 PM
How about this, but add SC at the end. Or just Supercoupe

http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/b4/90/69_1_b.JPG

pomo35th
04-11-2005, 02:03 AM
I would die for a pair with a t'bird emblem on them, exactly like the emblem found on the front of our cars. nothing to flashy or cluttered... any ideas on a price yet?

seawalkersee
04-13-2005, 06:23 AM
Just like that pic. One on one side and the emblem on the other. Not both on one side.

Chris

XxSlowpokexX
04-13-2005, 09:32 PM
I was thinking 3.8 Supercharged with the Thunderbird symbol above for teh drivers side..

Now are you doing anything with teh passenger side as far as oil fill and venting..And of course...How much!

T@Sound-Xtreme
04-19-2005, 03:48 PM
what ever happened here?

Tyler

Super XR7
04-19-2005, 04:42 PM
what ever happened here?

Tyler

It is in the works, I just recieved the rest of my material yesterday and will have enough to do two sets. One will be done with the "Mercury Racing" (for my Cougar) and the other for a Thunderbird (design not complete). They should be done about mid May. I plan on going to Carlisle (without my car again!) and I will bring a set with me.
Mike

Hock
04-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Any prices yet?

mattyblazer
04-23-2005, 05:42 PM
I would be interested if they are not gonna cost me a nut, I spent the last two I had on my blower and other toys...

Super XR7
04-23-2005, 06:24 PM
I am currently making two sets and plan on bringing them both to Carlisle for all to see. I do not have a price, but will have one by the time we get to Carlisle.

Mike

Super XR7
05-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Moving along with this, I have some pictures with unwelded valve cover sitting on the drivers side, and one on the passenger side w/o the top cover.
Note on my drive train the top of the adjuster to bottom side of cover has a 1/4" clearance. Actually the covers have the same basic height as a OEM covers.

Mike Tuck

SupachargedSC
05-03-2005, 12:57 AM
if the price is reasonable I will get a set for sure! They look great, you are making a set with the t-bird logo right?

pomo35th
05-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Wow! those look amazing! gives the engine a more muscular look! i'm interested!

tim
05-13-2006, 01:02 PM
I would like a set that is sort of like the old 50s style that say thunderbird. With all the junk I have pulled off my car you can actually see the valve covers.:D

Jeff Bratton
05-13-2006, 04:59 PM
So, How is this coming? Is the project still alive?

Jeff B.

Super XR7
05-13-2006, 05:06 PM
So, How is this coming? Is the project still alive?

Jeff B.

The project is on hold. I am currently building a shop and it is scheduled to be complete this summer. When complete I will make some more and to bring to this years shoot out. I am glad there is still some interest in these, they look so much better than oem. What type of design is of interest??

See you at the shoot out!

Mike

Jeff Bratton
05-13-2006, 05:18 PM
What type of design is of interest??

How about something similar to the design on the SC top (3.8) and "Supercharged" next to it, I'd like that!

Mike, didn't notice on the previous posts, but have you decided on a price on a pair?

See you at the shoot out!
I actually plan on coming up for the 1st time, and I'm looking forward to it to!

Thanks Mike for the quick response!

Jeff B.

Nettlesd
05-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Hey, if Jeff is buying a pair then I definitely would like a pair and Tony, Kurt, Micah and David.

Jeff Bratton
05-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Hey, if Jeff is buying a pair then I definitely would like a pair and Tony, Kurt, Micah and David.
Two words to say...... copycat!:p

seawalkersee
05-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Yeah...but that does look SWEET...

Chris

lilredstang
05-15-2006, 02:01 PM
What would you guys like to have engraved in the top? Ford Racing? Supercoupe? Give me your ideas. I plan on making them very soon, not sure what the cost will be, not until I get the design complete, material quotes, time on the machine, etc. I am definitly going to make them and hope to start next month on a protoype set.

Mike Tuck

"got boost?"
"powered by ford
blown by eaton"
or just plain "supercharged"

Nettlesd
05-15-2006, 10:04 PM
I want mine to say "Just add Water".

Super XR7
05-16-2006, 05:45 AM
How about "Just add Money"

95pearlbird
05-22-2006, 08:21 PM
For a Thunderbird, I'd say my favorite would be:
Thunderbird Logo(static bird) on top,
with leaning(fast look) script below saying, "Supercharged"~
Just my .02 cents worth~

Dahoopd
05-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Are you fabbing these yourself. I see the thread was started in 05 and you already had a set on your car then. Were yours the mock up. They look good on your motor. Whats the deal on these.

Sharon Silver
05-22-2006, 10:18 PM
One of the top reasons we hold on to these birds is because they were so unique. Valve covers like these speak to that uniqueness in that it is unlikely that there will be a great market for them for 5.0's or 4.6's, and even less of chance for NA 3.8's. Therefore, having something recgonizable but unique on the lids should be our thrust. I suggest the Tbird logo from our cars, kept in heigth to width ratio, with SC beneath it, and these surfaces polished with the rest of the surface brushed or powdered, and the Cat's head followed by XR7, with these surfaces polished. Having "supercharged" or "Ford" or "3.8" would be redundant and distracting from the mystique that SC and XR7 hold.

tim
05-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Good idea. I like the bird like the old 312s had.

PReDiTR91
05-23-2006, 11:55 AM
One of the top reasons we hold on to these birds is because they were so unique. Valve covers like these speak to that uniqueness in that it is unlikely that there will be a great market for them for 5.0's or 4.6's, and even less of chance for NA 3.8's. Therefore, having something recgonizable but unique on the lids should be our thrust. I suggest the Tbird logo from our cars, kept in heigth to width ratio, with SC beneath it, and these surfaces polished with the rest of the surface brushed or powdered, and the Cat's head followed by XR7, with these surfaces polished. Having "supercharged" or "Ford" or "3.8" would be redundant and distracting from the mystique that SC and XR7 hold.
I like sharon's idea! Maby the t-bird & cat head larger then the SC & XR7? Have the SC tilted & under the wing. XR7 also tilted following the cat head.
:cool: PReDiTR91:cool:

ufdb
05-23-2006, 06:26 PM
I like the idea of having "supercoupe" or at least "SC" on it to distinguish these cars from the LX's.

I get sooo tired of people saying "yeah, i used to own one of those t-birds". I'll say "no, your LX had a different engine, different tranny, different rear end, different styling.....its a DIFFERENT CAR!!!"
Then they act like I dont know what I'm talking about and say "no, it was just like yours"
AAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

A T-bird with "supercoupe" lettering underneath would be my vote. But "blown by eaton" gets an honorable mention!! LOL

Super XR7
05-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Sounds like some good ideas. Anyone who wants draw some pictures of the suggestions. I am currently working on the cover body to fit in place of the OEM and should be done soon. I will then pick the best / popular designs and make some to bring to the shoot out.
Thanks
Mike

XR7inWI
05-24-2006, 08:28 AM
How about this for the Cougar XR7 ?

PReDiTR91
05-24-2006, 12:50 PM
How about this for the Cougar XR7 ?
Thats perfect!!! How about one for the SC's?
PReDiTR91:cool:

XR7inWI
05-25-2006, 02:30 AM
I made an adjustment to the XR7 one and made one for the SC too.

What do ya think? Good? Bad? Ugly?

XR7inWI
05-25-2006, 02:41 AM
My preference would be to have everything that is black (in the pictures) RAISED above the rest of the surface. Then I would paint them black with high temp engine paint and after the paint has cured, take a sanding block with some fine sandpaper and sand off the very top flat surface so the bare aluminum shows. Then polish it.

That way everything shown in black in the pics I posted would actually be polished aluminum and the background would be black. Then add some stainless, allen head cap screws to fasten the top plate to the body of the valve cover. I think that would look badass. SHOULD also be fairly easy to keep clean and nice lookin because all the recessed areas would be painted and only the very top flat surfaces would be polished.

Red, Blue, etc, etc, etc, anodized would look sweet as well.

PReDiTR91
05-25-2006, 04:46 AM
Nice work bro!!! How about instead of SC it say super coupe?

Kurt K
05-25-2006, 08:06 AM
My preference would be to have everything that is black (in the pictures) RAISED above the rest of the surface. Then I would paint them black with high temp engine paint and after the paint has cured, take a sanding block with some fine sandpaper and sand off the very top flat surface so the bare aluminum shows. Then polish it.

If you wrap a thin cloth damp with pain thinner around a block and run it over that raised surfaces while the paint is still wet, you'll clean up the surfaces with a lot less effort.

xThunderbirdSCx
05-25-2006, 08:54 AM
no offense or anything, but seeing as how we CANT see our valve covers under all the junk in our engine bay, wouldnt this be useless? I think custom panels like ken w. made with raised lettering would be sweet.

Kurt K
05-25-2006, 09:32 AM
no offense or anything, but seeing as how we CANT see our valve covers under all the junk in our engine bay, wouldnt this be useless? I think custom panels like ken w. made with raised lettering would be sweet.
Some people can actually see their valve covers. But yeah, most of us wouldn't be able to see them enough to warrant a fancy design.

XxSlowpokexX
05-25-2006, 10:07 AM
WIth my A/R setup I can see both of mine plain as day..This would be a groovy addition..However I'm wanting to keep a semi factory look..yahh...

xThunderbirdSCx
05-25-2006, 11:45 AM
WIth my A/R setup I can see both of mine plain as day..This would be a groovy addition..However I'm wanting to keep a semi factory look..yahh...

oooo send pics!

XR7inWI
05-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Nice work bro!!! How about instead of SC it say super coupe?

Like one of these?

Super XR7
05-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Like one of these?

I like the first one. What about everyone else?

Mike

XxSlowpokexX
05-25-2006, 06:01 PM
I'd like it to say 3.8 Supercharged..Or..Powered by Ford...Its CLassic

XxSlowpokexX
05-25-2006, 06:07 PM
http://members.aol.com/xmetalgodnyc/now.jpg

Miller
05-25-2006, 06:20 PM
the Cougar .. R.I.P ( the P is for PIECES )

Jeff Bratton
05-25-2006, 06:42 PM
The Bird Logo on the top with the "SC" right underneath it. Just like the one XR7inWI posted earlier. That is what I would like on mine please!!

Thank You.

Jeff B.

Sweet90SC
05-25-2006, 07:49 PM
http://members.aol.com/xmetalgodnyc/now.jpg

Awsome engine Damon.....What is it?

PReDiTR91
05-26-2006, 03:40 AM
I like the first one. What about everyone else?

Mike
I like the first one too!:D

SupachargedSC
06-10-2006, 12:15 AM
how much are these gonna cost?

XxSlowpokexX
06-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Oh crud wrong picture.Sorry guys..Just rechecked this post..Thats the turbo v8 in my 87 cougar..heck I dont even know what picture I was trying to post

Jeff Bratton
09-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Super XR7....

Are you still mocking up these, or do this project die? You mentioned back I beleive in may you would have a set to show at the Shoot-out??

Still interested!!:)

Jeff B.

Dahoopd
09-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Some people can actually see their valve covers. But yeah, most of us wouldn't be able to see them enough to warrant a fancy design.

Yes we can! As will you! Just wait and see!

CougarXR/7
09-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I'd prefer the T - Bird emblem on them or Super Coupe or even Supercharged on a nice ribbed top cast aluminum cover.

shawpdx1
09-17-2006, 06:04 PM
they look great Id buy a set, S.C. or a Tbird emblem would look good on them

Super XR7
09-17-2006, 08:22 PM
I will bring a prototype set to the shoot-out for all to see. But they will not be for sale.

Mike

Jeff Bratton
09-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks Mike... That'll Be Great! There looks to be alot of interest in these. I would be one of them.

Jeff B.

95MustangSC
09-28-2006, 11:48 PM
i am brand new but i think just saying supercharged would be the best route for everyone it is a generic statement considering you have the people that would want to buy them for there t birds cougars and even like myself there mustang

dino3.8
09-29-2006, 02:01 AM
i take some with the sc thunderbird on them

bowez
09-29-2006, 09:00 AM
I'd like to see a emblem like the orginal T-bird emblem w/o fins, and perferable brushed alunmium finish.
Did the mill work finish get removed from your first set?

CougarXR/7
10-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Where does this project sit now? Have a pic of them?

Super XR7
10-09-2006, 08:29 PM
I brought one to the Shoot-out for all to see. These will not be made until sometime next year. I have several things going right now involving SC parts to be debuted next year.
Too much to do, too little time to get them done.

Mike

ScrapSC
10-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Even though i polished mine up I think a set of what you have put together would be a good addition. I can see both my valve covers just fine also...:D

gbabione
12-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Just found this post. I was wondering if you can still make a set of these for an SC? What price did you come up with? Do you maybe have just the sides without any tops? I have a few friends that work in Toll & Die that could make the tops for me.