Should this look this way? (pic)

JasonMiller94SC

I took off my stock blower pully today and was putting on a 5% pully and something just didn't look right. Is this what is am supposed to see behind the pully? Looks like that clip is out too far.

Attachments

• DSC03298.JPG
    DSC03298.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC03297.JPG
    DSC03297.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 303
WOW there is a clip in there? I did not know that and I have took my blower pulley off my 35th many times. Hmm... I wander if there is even one there on mine.

Shane

JasonMiller94SC said:
I took off my stock blower pully today and was putting on a 5% pully and something just didn't look right. Is this what is am supposed to see behind the pully? Looks like that clip is out too far.
your coolant bypass hose clamp is missing. :eek:

NMxr7SC said:
your coolant bypass hose clamp is missing. :eek:

Look again. I assure you there is a clamp on both ends of the hose.

I tried to push the clip back in but it won't budge. The top part just pops back out. Is this terminal for my blower?

I don't even have the clip on there because mine got all bent and I didn't put it back on. Am I screwing anything up without the clip on there or is this fine?

JasonMiller94SC said:

I tried to push the clip back in but it won't budge. The top part just pops back out. Is this terminal for my blower?
:eek: I stand corrected! As for your blower snout, check the SC oil. Did you have any leak out? usually the blower pulley will spray it under the hood when it leaks. You should be able to see the detent where that clip grabs into. maybe your snout seal has slid forward a little? :confused:

JasonMiller94SC said:

Get a small block of wood and tap the seal in a little, then the snap ring will go back into place. It kept coming out on mine and the seal would get chewed up, Charles Warner at Magnum Powers now stocks a real snap ring that replaces that flimsy wire.

David

The inside of the pully did have some fluid in it. Doesn't looks like a real bad leak but it does leak some. I'll try tapping it back in place with a block of wood and see if that helps.
On a side note. I also installed a double IC today. Seems like the rpm's come up a little faster and the shift point on the 1-2 shift is about 200-300 rpm higher. Does that sound right? Maybe it's the combo of the IC and new pully.

I would replace the seal while you have it apart. Try and remove the SC oil with a turkey baster or be ready for it to pour all over the place when the seal comes out. You can use a self tapping screw to bite into the seal and then use pliers to pull the original seal. Then tap the new seal in.

Jerry

Can I ask how you got the pulley off without pulling off the thermostat housing. I resealed my upper IC tube and blower top yesterday and was going to install my new 10% pulley on my blower but didn't have a replacement t-stat and gasket so I didn't bother trying to remove the pulley.

Scott Long said:
Can I ask how you got the pulley off without pulling off the thermostat housing. I resealed my upper IC tube and blower top yesterday and was going to install my new 10% pulley on my blower but didn't have a replacement t-stat and gasket so I didn't bother trying to remove the pulley.

3jaw puller and your done

Scott Long said:
Scott
It only works with a 6 inch one or smaller. Then just try and move it in so it fits.

...Scott,get in touch with me...I have a 3 jaw puller and I've r/r'd my pulley numerous times...
z

When doing a 5% or 10% pulley, have you had to grind the snout fins to get clearance for the new pullies?

the-big-e said:
When doing a 5% or 10% pulley, have you had to grind the snout fins to get clearance for the new pullies?

When I did the 10% pulley on my 91 SC no grinding of any sort was needed, nor do I think it would be needed on a later m90 either.

Just a direct swap.

-Tim

I did a 5% on mine and when I tightened the pulley bolt, the pulley was hard to turn..... :confused:

The upper left fin / rib was rubbing the inside of the pulley......

It was an easy fix though.....

You didn't put the pully on backwards did you? I have used a pully from a 89 SC, a 5% pully and a 10% pully and have never had any of them rub.

the-big-e said:
I did a 5% on mine and when I tightened the pulley bolt, the pulley was hard to turn..... :confused:

The upper left fin / rib was rubbing the inside of the pulley......

It was an easy fix though.....

I had the very same problem and on the same fin as well on my 90 SC when I put a 10% pulley on it. I had to do just small amount of grinding to the fin to let the pulley spin freely.

Shane

Back