exshaust Question????????

super89

what dose the resinator do on our cars?????and can u just run mufflers like by bending your own exshaust pipes then just throw on mufflers at the end with no converters or res. or will this hurt the car and how will it sound?

super89 said:
what dose the resinator do on our cars?????and can u just run mufflers like by bending your own exshaust pipes then just throw on mufflers at the end with no converters or res. or will this hurt the car and how will it sound?
Yes you can do that, but the resonator just lengthens the frequency of the sound in the exhaust do to its length and shape. If you just run mufflers only it will sound like doo doo butter. Many people would suggest a resonator and two mufflers at the back because it sounds good.

I made my own exhaust by using a bunch of u-bends. It has two glasspacks and two mufflers in the back. It sounds like the cars with resonators on them minus the exhaust leaks I have.

with after market mufflers? will it still sound like crap?and is it cheaper to buy the scp kit or to buy the mufflers and the res. and have a muffler shop bend the pipes?

super89 said:
with after market mufflers? will it still sound like crap?and is it cheaper to buy the scp kit or to buy the mufflers and the res. and have a muffler shop bend the pipes?
Aftermarket mufflers are good. It will sound good if you put a resonator on it, but if you only put two mufflers on with no resonator or cats it wont sound very good.

A muffler shop wont do exhaust unless you have cats. It would be cheaper and more effective to buy the scp exhaust.

With 2 glasspacks, 2 mufflers, 2 y-collectors, Wynn's downtubes, and about 6 u-bends ran me around $350 to do it all myself.

SCP High Flow 2 ¼" Down Tubes For Factory Cast Iron Manifolds
Includes Oxygen Sensor fitting for the passenger side. The drivers side O2 fitting is in the cast iron exhaust manifold.
Our down tubes go from the factory manifolds to the transmission cross member. Note that they do NOT go all the way to the resonator. If you elect to have the cats, each will be welded in place on to the piping. Our cat-back exhaust will mate right up to these or you may have any muffler shop mate these to any other exhaust.
With High Flow Converters $325/pair

Without Converters $195/pair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCP High Flow Cat-Back Exhaust System
Dual 2 ½" pipes into a single 3", back to dual 2 ½" outlets
Factory fit. Available for the '89 - '91 or '92 - 95 style gas tanks.

Includes extra heavy gauge aluminized piping, a high flow resonator, two Turbo style mufflers, all hangers and hardware.
Uses factory rubber hangers, etc. Our cat-back starts at the transmission cross member and goes all the way to the exhaust tips. A must upgrade for all supercharged V6 owners, from stock to 375 HP. Guaranteed to out-flow any other system on the market except the "Big Dog" shown below. This system has an excellent deep throaty tone that you will love!

CLICK FOR PHOTOS - SCP VS. STOCK EXHAUST

$740

Yeah, I know its pricey, but if you dont have to have cats then you would be wasting your money if you had a shop bend the piping for you. Not to mention their bends dont look very healthy at all. If you buy the SCP kit it is fully mandrel bent. If you have access to a welder then you could buy u-bends and do the ole cut and weld. :)

Exhaust testing still

I tried flowmaster 40 series on mine and didn't buy a resonator at first just highflow cats and the mufflers. I have to say when I was shifting the gears it sounded like really good kinda loud right off the bat. I could say it sounded like a 3000 gt or a stealth exhaust when takin off. Umm but after awhile I felt a loss of power I was running throughout the system 2.25 piping but the exhaust guys thought it would get louder but what happened was it got quite and freakin loss of power and quiteness I wasn't happy soo I bought the flowmaster resonator for the rest of the kit I had already. The darn thing got even more quite :mad: soo having said that the next thing I think I might try is borla and magnaflow together and see how they work. thats just from my standpoint of trying flowmasters out.

Back