Transmission?

rhodes588

I know there is a similar post about this, but my problem seems a little bit different. Last night I was at a red light and it was in first (Automatic) and it started to slip and quickly grabbed and then felt like it was going over small bumps like the transmission was grinding. It now does this through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will slip into 4th roughly. The fluid is perfect. Could it be the valve body, or do you suggest that I need a AOD rebuild?

Its worth the effort IF you can find a spare valve body to swap it out; otherwise your choices are rather limited.. buy a used or rebuilt one rebuild yours or have it rebuilt.

BTW, for anyone who is interested, I have a used AOD which drops out of O/D gear after about 70 miles of driving in Texas summer heat. In cooler weather, last fall/winter it never had the problem. Gears 1,2,3 work fine all the time. Someone in a cooler climate with an external cooler could probably drive for another year or 2 with no problem. It could also simply be used to rebuild. I just recently traded it out for another used one with lower mileage as I live in the heat and didn't want to contend with the problem.

One way or another I'll be parting with it before end of the summer. $50 for anyone who wants to come and pick it up in Texas. :)

Thank you for stealing my thread, haha.

Could it be the TV cable? Can you visually tell if it is loose or anything?

rhodes588 said:
Thank you for stealing my thread, haha.

Could it be the TV cable? Can you visually tell if it is loose or anything?
Oooo... If the TV cable came off and now you're experiencing a slippage problem, then the tranny's probably on its last legs. You can tell by looking at the throttle linkage. TV cable attaches at the top. If you pop it out of the grommet and pull on it, it should feel springy. There are a number of recent threads about how to adjust it, Just do a search on TV cable adjust.

My comment about having an AOD available was FYI for you, not an attempt to hijack the thread ;) When I'm ready to send it off, I'll post in the local forums and then in the others. I actually perfer to hold onto it until I'm sure the new one is OK in the summer time, but in order to help out a fellow SC owner, I'd part with it sooner. :cool:

rhodes588 said:
Alright if the tranny is done with i will get ahold of you asap

Okay, I have noticed some spots on my driveway (tranny fluid). And now I realized that my driver side motor mount is completely ****ed up because my motor will bounce around if I get on it. So, would you think that, because the motor mount snapped, it may of damaged the tranny at take off that would cause a leak. A huge leak would make sense since it now slips out of every gear.

Sorry, and how much would it cost to do a FULL 5-speed conversion? I might as well put a stick in it if I'm going to have to rip it all apart and have my dream come true.

You should certainly check the fluid level. As for a busted mount causing a trans leak, its not likely. Both mounts have limiter arms to keep the engine from rising up too high and the trans has a fair amount of room to lift up/down and all around before it would hit anything.
Also, usually when the level is extremely low, you'll rev the engine and the trans will just not engage, then suddenly it'll kick in. However, it only takes about a 1-2 quarts low for this to happen and that would be apparent on the dipstick.
As for a trans, I'd love to move the old one out, but with shipping costs, I know you'd probably be better off finding a seller in MO where you could drive to and pick one up. Check out the seller and local chapter forums; there are people all over with good and not-so-good AODs for sale. :cool:

Whew. The conversion has been done by a number of owners, but not me. 5 speed swap is a whole other topic. Start with a forum search for 5 speed swap.

Okay, I just took it out after I filled it with transmission fluid. I'm now beginning to think I have a clogged filter. This doesn't make much since. If it's slipping, that means there isn't getting fluid. I have put fluid in it. The only thing, that I know of, that would resist the fluid from getting through, would be a clogged filter. Any opinions? Please help, this is a daily driver.

Yeah. I drove it around the block today, I had no engine oil at all. The tranny fluid is a little browner then usual, and smells like it's burnt. It will not shift out of 1st gear, but I have not brought it passed 2300 rpms in first gear because it hasn't shifted. I see no puddles underneath the car. The transmission has never been service from what I know. So... should I spend the 100 on it and have AAMCO do a power flush and replace the filter or just start saving my money up for a new tranny?

And Greg - I'm trying small stupid things before I decide to get up and rebuild or buy a new tranny.

I've been down that power flush road. Waste of money. It sounds to me like you have bigtime tranny problems. First thing you have to do is quit driving it. If you want to stay with an AOD find someone that knows what the hell they are doing. I had a man do mine that claimed he knew what he was doing. 15 months and $1000.00 later my transmission is still a piece of chit. Don't know what I am going to do about it. I suppose I will find a drag racing tranny man and have it done right, someday!

What could go wrong with it though? All I know is maybe the filter may be bad. Any suggestions? I don't have the time or the money for a new trans right now.

15 years old? Mine went at 60,000 miles for no reason at all. I have always properly cared for the car and have had it since new. What can go wrong with it? Ha, it's an AOD, that should be all you should have to know on that question. Read some of the tranny threads and you can find the answer to every question you may have.

markadeck said:
15 years old? Mine went at 60,000 miles for no reason at all. I have always properly cared for the car and have had it since new. What can go wrong with it? Ha, it's an AOD, that should be all you should have to know on that question. Read some of the tranny threads and you can find the answer to every question you may have.

Yeah, I'm 16. How much would it cost just in parts for the 5 speed conversion? I found a website that lists the parts here.

rhodes588 said:
Yeah, I'm 16. How much would it cost just in parts for the 5 speed conversion? I found a website that lists the parts here.

No kid, I meant the cars age.....LOL......When you learn how to do a conversion come do mine. If I were your age I would convert mine in a heart beat.

Back