Quick question about the locking hub nuts.

89_Red_Xr7

I ran a search on this, but I couldn’t quite find what I was looking for, so here goes.....
I am getting ready to do brakes/bushings on my car, and am looking for the locking hub nuts. On the SCCOA parts listing, there are both front and rear locking nuts, part numbers F3LY 3B477 A and F0SZ 4B477 A respectively.
I was cross-referencing the numbers for pricing on Fordpartsonline.com, but the number for the rear lock nuts shows nothing. Can I just use the front locking nuts for the rear too, or are they specific for front/rear?

Thanks,
Andrew

They are different.
You can probably get them at a local parts store. Here is what I found at www.rockauto.com
rear
Dorman # 615155 $4.69 sold in packs of 2

front
Dorman # 615098 $5.35 sold in packs of 5

Napa online shows Balkcamp numbers.. Call first as they might have to order it in.
BK 6301612 (front) $7.49
BK 6301610 (rear) $7.49

Question

These RockAuto parts numbers bring up a question. In additon to the parts numbers quoted previously they also show "spindle locknut kit" #05113 front and #05111 rear sold individually. The pictures show what appears to be an identical nut to the #615155 and #615098. However I ordered the #05113 and received nuts that were one-piece, not the multi-layer, caged nuts shown. They are the type that are crushed off-round to provide locking. Has anybody used these type nuts and what was your experience. Thanks, John

Not sure why you need to replace these locknuts for a suspension re-build; unless you are replacing the sealed bearings or hubs. You'll also need a good breaker bar and a torque wrench with a 250 ft.lb capacity.

Congrats 'Mike8675309' for surpassing your 4,000th posting mark! :D

Mike8675309 said:
They are different.
You can probably get them at a local parts store. Here is what I found at www.rockauto.com
rear
Dorman # 615155 $4.69 sold in packs of 2

front
Dorman # 615098 $5.35 sold in packs of 5

Napa online shows Balkcamp numbers.. Call first as they might have to order it in.
BK 6301612 (front) $7.49
BK 6301610 (rear) $7.49

AnnivSpeCpe said:
These RockAuto parts numbers bring up a question. In additon to the parts numbers quoted previously they also show "spindle locknut kit" #05113 front and #05111 rear sold individually. The pictures show what appears to be an identical nut to the #615155 and #615098. However I ordered the #05113 and received nuts that were one-piece, not the multi-layer, caged nuts shown. They are the type that are crushed off-round to provide locking. Has anybody used these type nuts and what was your experience. Thanks, John

When you say that what you received is one piece, do you mean that the ones you received are those that crush? If so, they will work fine as that is kinda what happens to the others. (though supposidly you can use them more than once).

The point is the nut and the threads are insufficient to retain the nut under torque, thus a mechanical means via deformation of the nut is required to keep it from coming off. Even Red Loc-tite won't keep it on there if the nut won't deform as designed.

Back