Anyone using KYB GR-2 shocks?

Scott Long

I found some pretty good prices on them from Tire Rack. I would hope these are better quality pieces than Monroe and Gabriel offer. I know I'm going to lose the adjustability but I don't really care. I don't know if I want to sink a ton of money into Bilstien or Koni's right now so I think the KYB's if they are a good quality shock would be my best choice. The car sits on stock springs right now but will be getting lowered soon w/ eibach pro springs. I have my 92 lowered w/ eibach and gabriel premiums but I am not 100 percent happy since the shocks are always somewhat compressed they just don't dampen the car the way I feel it should be. It still feels loose. I hope the KYB's would be a firmer shock.

i just installed the kyb's in my car-- havent had it out yet- theres still salt on the road here-- but they are a stiffer than stock strut, but not as stiff as the koni adjustables. i have heard several people say that they were pleased for the money spent, however. i got mine thru work for $45 fr, $20 rr.

Thats about what I'll pay for them add $20.00 to ship them though.

I can go to Auto Zone or Advance and get either Gabriels or Monroes, but to me those are better suited for a stock car that rides soft. Mine I want stiff, I don't want it to lean when turning hard corners at high speeds. I want the car to sit low and remain flat. Not to mention going over bumps and have the car bounce down and bottom out.

I haven't used KYBs on a MN12 but have on many other cars. I will be nice and simply say you get what you pay for. I have had to replace alot of them under warrenty do to leaks withen the first year. They also loose there dampening very quickly im most cases under 20k miles. Since Eibachs are normally on the very soft side it shouldn't bounce around to bad. I will say on a import like a Honda that uses Tokico from the factory even if they have 100K miles on them replacing them with KYB GR2s make the car handle worse and kill the ride. Now on a mustang with Eibach pros they seem decent so maybe you will get lucky. DO NOT BUY THE AGX they are crap.

do the KYB's sit lower than the stock struts? i was thinking of replacing mine as well, adn the KYBs seem to be the cheapest ones out there. how much for the adjustable KYBs?

ben04 said:
do the KYB's sit lower than the stock struts? i was thinking of replacing mine as well, adn the KYBs seem to be the cheapest ones out there. how much for the adjustable KYBs?

KYB does not make an adjustable shock for the SC, or maybe for any car. The only adjustables one are either the OEM Tokico, the Tokico Illumina (30% stiffer) or the Koni's, which lose the in-car feature, but are 200% better IMO.

SCme said:
KYB does not make an adjustable shock for the SC, or maybe for any car. The only adjustables one are either the OEM Tokico, the Tokico Illumina (30% stiffer) or the Koni's, which lose the in-car feature, but are 200% better IMO.

The tokico illuminas are the ones you find on ebay for like 4-500 US right? i think spinningwheelssc supplies them.... :confused:

Funny,

I had the opposite problem with Tokicos not lasting very long and making my car handle worse than stock..Both on my SC and a prior Mustang Ive owned.

KYB's on the other hand Ive had good success with...On a light car like a stang they are on the stiff side. My freinds SC had them for 50,000 miles without failure and were much better then stock or the tokico replacements....

Whatever you buy..I truly reccomend NOT getting teh illuminas..

Last edited:
I've used KYB GR-2's on three of my MN12's now. One of the sets has over 65,000 miles on them now, and they are still working well. They are a decent shock, at a low price.

-Rod

I just installed the KYB's last week. I didn't notice a difference since I also installed Suspension Techniques lowering springs. The ride is very stiff but i think it's mostly due to the springs. The car handles way better in curves and around corners. I need all new suspension bushings all the way around and ball joints. then maybe my car will ride nice.

How much did you pay for all the four ones and which is the best place to bay them? They are bolt-on shocks, right?! And if you can give me the part number...
Thanks!

Sampo said:
How much did you pay for all the four ones and which is the best place to bay them? They are bolt-on shocks, right?! And if you can give me the part number...
Thanks!
I got mine shipped for $227 U.S. from Shox.com. That's with my TCCOA member discount :rolleyes: Someone else just got them for $160 shipped from JC Whitney. :mad:

ben04 said:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294907842+4294924930+4294925130&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294907842+4294924930+4294925130&autoview=sku

under application it says EXCEPT ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION or somethign to that extent. does that mean it wont work wtih the SCs or it just means you'll have to disable it? if they work, 21 bucks is a good price for em i think

im due for em as mine are squeeking/rattling and getting annoying.
you will have to scrap the auto ride control. The KYBs are not adjustable.

NMxr7SC said:
you will have to scrap the auto ride control. The KYBs are not adjustable.

but they will fit right? they will be an exact bolt in, however i'll have to live without hte nifty little FIRM/AUTO switch. no prob.

NMxr7SC said:
Yes, they will bolt right in.

right on. well it seems i can put mine off for a bit longer, only problem with mine was a loose bolt causing a rattle etc and annoying gay stuff. :D

But if I have lower springs ( Eibach ) will they fit also?!? ;)

And what is the best place to purchase those KYB´s? :cool:

Sampo said:
But if I have lower springs ( Eibach ) will they fit also?!? ;)

And what is the best place to purchase those KYB´s? :cool:
Sampo, they will work with Eibach springs. I have suspension tech springs 1.5" drop which is the same as the eibachs.

Back