Hard to start, bad idle Help

no164ford

Will Not Start ?????????????????

I have a 1989 thunderbird sc. When I parked it last fall it ran great with no problems, then through out the winter I would start it just to let it run, and I kept having problems starting it. Then after it started, it would idle real bad and miss and rev crappy. Once it warmed up it ran fine. This seemed to get worse each time I started it, and after you get it warmed up it restarts just fine. Plenty of power and will smoke the tires off. Last time I got it running about two weeks ago I had a hard time starting it and after it was running for a little while it was still running bad. I noticed the ground wire to the core support was broke, so I got a pice of wire and put it across to ground and the car ran great so I replaced the wire. I think I ran it out of gas that day, so tonight I went out to start it, and put gas in it. It will not start at all now. After cranking for a while, it will atempt to start, and twice it did start but only seemed to be running on two to three cylinders. I even hit it with starting fluid, did not seem to make a difference. I drained the fuel filter, does have fuel at the fuel rail. Also checked to see and it does have spark. The plugs and wires are new, just put them on last summer, any idea what this could be, please help me.
READ BELOW I HAVE ADDED TO THIS!
Thanks Paul.

Last edited:
Before you pull any more hairs out, pull codes. :cool: Also, if you have a spare DIS sitting around, try swapping it out... but codes first. ;)

TbirdSCFan said:
Before you pull any more hairs out, pull codes.

how do you pull codes, cause i'd like to know what my car is trying to tell me. sorry if this is a stupid question, im new at this.

I pulled my codes for my car today, Now remember I can only get the codes with out the car running, And it is only 32 degreses out here today. I got two codes 21, 24 here is what the book says.
code 21
engine coolent temperature (ect) sensor signal voltage: Out of range (Key on Engine off Self -Test), not at normal operating temperature. (Engine Run Self Test) or loss of signal (during normal engine operation). or, Electronic Distributorless Ignition System (EDIS) fault -problems with Crankshaft Postition Senso (CPS) circuit.

Code 24
Air charge Temperature (ACT) sensor or Vane Air Temperature (VAT) sensor-signal voltage is out of specification (engine off) or not at normal levels(engine running) or, Electronic Distributorless Ignition System (EDIS) fault-failure in coil 1 primary circuit.

Now I tried to change the mogual and it was not the problem. any ideas anyone?
Thanks, Paul

matteo said:
how do you pull codes, cause i'd like to know what my car is trying to tell me. sorry if this is a stupid question, im new at this.
I picked up a code scanner for 30.00 at advanced auto. I have done it with a voltage meter before but that is a pain in the a$$.

no164ford said:
I picked up a code scanner for 30.00 at advanced auto. I have done it with a voltage meter before but that is a pain in the a$$.

you have a web site for that? also, what is the book you are referring to? did that come with the scanner?

I tried the coil pack, and air tempeture sensor to day no diffrence. But it is warmer today and even before I changed anything I tried to start it. It started a few times but seemed to only be running on 2 or 3 cylenders, and I could smell gas like it was flooding or something then it would stall out? I guess I will try to change the crank posision sensor tomarrow, unless some one has any outher ideas.

matteo said:
you have a web site for that? also, what is the book you are referring to? did that come with the scanner?

www.advanceautoparts.com should work.

Make sure the car is up to running temp when checking for codes. This will help eliminate some codes you got, like the one for not at normal operating temp.

I have now tryed a good crank sensor, coil pack, dis control, throttle position sensor, unpluged the mass air, checked fuel pressure, checked spark, air charge temp sensor, do you think it could have filed the plugs? I also reset the computer a half dozen times. Help!!, or this might be the next SC to go for parts.

Back