early or late M5R2, which would you prefer?

V8Supercoupe

Well, maybe it sounds stupid, but with my tranny taking a crap on me, and the availability of early car parts, would anyone find it to be a bad manuever to go with an early 5 speed?

Just curious, I haven't really made up my mind as to what I am doing.....I guess I am thinking out loud.

Skip

I would say the early style m5r2's because they have shorter gears than the late model, therefore, making 3.27's more effective. Also, I believe that the early model trannies have fiber blockers, which makes the shifts easier, and the late models have brass. Not too sure though.

Just get your 95 rebuilt. MUCH better gearing. When you bring the car out here for the AR you can just have me do the clutch and rebuild the tranny at the same time. ;)

To rebuild the 95 will cost about the same as picking up a used early style and you'll still want to rebuild it anyway because 95% says it has bad blockers also.

Were the blockers different? I thought they were all fiber.

Personally...I think the 94-95 gearbox is better suited to lower HP SC's. The steeper gearing gives you a little more ompf down low. But if you are approaching 300RW or higher you will probably like the 94-95 gearings better. It gives you a little more room and time between shifts.

Micah

I have an early model M5R2 and I would prefer the late model for the closer 2nd to 3rd shift and the 1st gear that isn't so steep. I often cant shift out of my 1st gear fast enough at the track. It tachs out so quick that I think I would get a better 60 ft. time with the later model 1st gear.

Well, I guess that does it.
But if you are approaching 300RW or higher you will probably like the 94-95 gearings better

I'll stick with the later. I will,,,,,knowing me,,,be shooting for well over 300. THAT IS,,,,once my business season starts up again.

MUCH better gearing. When you bring the car out here for the AR you can just have me do the clutch and rebuild the tranny at the same time.

Geeez, I didn't know I was going to Ohio???
You must be reading my mind though, I have never been and always wanted to see what it was like. I have even thought about moving there. It's probably not a big deal to you guys who live there, but it has to be better than where I live,,,,and there's more snow to boot!

Anyhow, Dave I'll let you know when I am ready to do something. When I am ready I'll be bust'in at the seams.
On a side note, I have that Lentech clone tranny that I have laying around. The dang thing has virutally no miles on it. I wondered if I was better off just putting that in. Hmmmm, but so much for the rare 5 speed SC!

Skip

Back