Need help Have clunk prob.

A989Jaguar

Hey all I have a 1990 SC 5spd I have this clunk prob. and darn thing just started happening after I had put in 3.55gears. What I have replaced already is u-joints, have poly tranny mount and have poly diff. mounts but have had diff. chk 2 times already and my friend says its wearin fine and is still in spec. So my quest. is does anybody know what this could be??

All I can think of would be motor or trans mount. 3.55s wow did you lose 1 gear? I had 3.27s and wish I had installed a 3.08. Ran out of gears faster then I could shift. You might check the half shafts and wheel bearings as well.

If it happend under quick turns, I would try to tightent he subframe bolts...

Mine used to do that, so I tightened them up, and it don't clunk no mo :cool:

scbird1 said:
All I can think of would be motor or trans mount. 3.55s wow did you lose 1 gear? I had 3.27s and wish I had installed a 3.08. Ran out of gears faster then I could shift. You might check the half shafts and wheel bearings as well.

Hey I was going to say yes it does feel like I need a 6th gear but I like it its real alert off the line except for that clunk. I freakin have a new poly tranny mount I could see if its loosened but the only mount I haven't touched yet is the engine mounts there going to be poly if I get enough info. on thats what it could be. thanks for answering

XR7 Dave said:
Under what conditions does it clunk?

It clunks almost immediately as soon as I let the clutch out you hear it in the rear of the car. Now I can't remember cause its dormant throughout the winter months but I also want to say that I think I heard when I let off the gas and had coasted too. Do u think I still want to look at something wrong with the gears or possibly the spiders??

sizemoremk said:
If it happend under quick turns, I would try to tightent he subframe bolts...

Mine used to do that, so I tightened them up, and it don't clunk no mo :cool:

I was gonna say I did have the whole rear unibody frame down for derusting of it and paint it could be but I didn't see any wear marks from the rubber bushings moving on the metal body of the car. It just seems to happen really on a turn or on straight aways. Still I think its something in the drivetrain tho.

Make sure your driveshaft bolts are tight. Even slightly loose bolts will cause exactly what you are experiencing.

Back