PDA

View Full Version : tb and maf?

super89
03-21-2005, 10:22 PM
frist off how big can you port your inlet plenum?and how much to have this done?and if i go with a 76-80mm maf and 76mm tb would a 3.5 intake tube work with that size wise?and what if i had i 80mm maf and the 76mm tb how wold i do that because the tube wold have to be two size? this stuff is confusing :confused:

David Neibert
03-21-2005, 10:49 PM
frist off how big can you port your inlet plenum?and how much to have this done?and if i go with a 76-80mm maf and 76mm tb would a 3.5 intake tube work with that size wise?and what if i had i 80mm maf and the 76mm tb how wold i do that because the tube wold have to be two size? this stuff is confusing :confused:

You can port on that early model inlet plenum till your hair turns white and it isn't going to be any bigger than 68mm at the bend. So anything over a 70mm TB and a 73mm MAF is a waste of money.

If you had an MP inlet plenum (requires late model or MPII supercharger) you can make use of a larger TB and MAF. I've got an 85mm TB and an 87mm MAF with a 3.5 intake tube, but they don't make any more power than my old 75mm TB and 76mm MAF did with the 3" ZR intake tube.

David

Grims95SC
03-21-2005, 10:56 PM
I've got an 85mm TB and an 87mm MAF with a 3.5 intake tube, but they don't make any more power than my old 75mm TB and 76mm MAF did with the 3" ZR intake tube.

David
So it's more the inlet plenum not the throttle body that gets you th extra power?

David Neibert
03-21-2005, 11:57 PM
So it's more the inlet plenum not the throttle body that gets you th extra power?

If your refering to the MP inlet with the 85mm TB, yes I think that most gains are from the inlet plenum, but a 75mm will be needed to take full advantage of the larger air path.

Then again the polished 85mm TB does look much better and won't hurt anything.

David

Grims95SC
03-22-2005, 12:00 AM
If your refering to the MP inlet with the 85mm TB, yes I think that most gains are from the inlet plenum, but a 75mm will be needed to take full advantage of the larger air path.

Then again the polished 85mm TB does look much better and won't hurt anything.

David
Yeah I meant the MP inlet with the 75mm being basically the same powerwise as the 85mm. I'd personally just get the 75mm and get it polished and still be a few bucks ahead. But I'm no expert so ~~~ do I know? :)