mafs experts?????

ThunderDave

I'm trying to figure out which mafs I have. My car is a 91 SC with a production date on Jan. 91. It doesn't have the screen, the filter end is slightly bigger than the Mafs end. Is it a 55mm or a 70mm? I'm looking at buying a mafs sensor from "pablo94SC", but want to make sure which one I have first.

Any info would be great.

Thanks!!!

NCredSC said:
I'm trying to figure out which mafs I have. My car is a 91 SC with a production date on Jan. 91. It doesn't have the screen, the filter end is slightly bigger than the Mafs end. Is it a 55mm or a 70mm? I'm looking at buying a mafs sensor from "pablo94SC", but want to make sure which one I have first.

Any info would be great.

Thanks!!!

Ok, I think mine is a 70mm.

Thanks everybody! :rolleyes:

I dont think they changed to 70mm until 94 which has the 36#injectors to match it. Not sure though.

If the hole passing form the filter to the intake tube is about the size of the top of a 8oz. styrofoam coffee cup then it is 70mm. If it is about the size of the bottom of the same cup, it is the 55mm.

Both are about the same 55mm....

The center of the 91+ sensor creates a volume that when taken away from the whole adds up to about 55mm.

Ford added the post to help properly measure the air intake of the motor. The early model one with the screen measures 55mm and has no center post.

Only TRUE way to upgrade is to go with the C+L meter since David neibert now tells us that PRO-M is now out of business.

A larger MAF is not a big deal espicially since the throttle body is only 60mm.

Don

lube70 said:
The center of the 91+ sensor creates a volume that when taken away from the whole adds up to about 55mm.

Ford added the post to help properly measure the air intake of the motor. The early model one with the screen measures 55mm and has no center post.

Only TRUE way to upgrade is to go with the C+L meter since David neibert now tells us that PRO-M is now out of business.

A larger MAF is not a big deal espicially since the throttle body is only 60mm.

Don

Don,

It looks like Granatelli may be duplicating many of the Pro-M meters. They are already making meters for SCT and used to make the Pro-M meters in the past.

David

Mine doesn't have the screen that I was told was on the 55s and it does have the center post. Should I post a pic of it? Would that help somebody to identify which it is?

Don, I do plan to get a larger TB too, eventually.

David, where did you hear that Granatelli was making SCT meters?

For SC's C&L is probably still going to be your best source. No one likes to make a transfer function that matches the OE during those years, particularly since Ford changed the transfer function of the meters a couple times during the SC years. Most any current offering is going to match the more current meters. If Pro M stops making meters then I would not expect anyone to start up making these obsolete electronics anymore.

As for the stock meters, the important thing is to keep your stock electronics that came with your car. The meter housings are all the same in regards to flow characteristics, and started appearing on SC's in 91 and NA 3.8's in 92. There is no substantial benefit to changing meters unless you want to do the MN12performance mod and have your car dyno tuned. I would not do the MN12 performance mod unless you are having the car dyno'd.

Really, for the $135 it costs for a 76C&L, why even bother with anything on the stock MAF?

Back