What do I need to change lug pattern?

If youre going to a Mustang bolt pattern, you need the 93+ spindles first. Then remove the wheel bearing, and replace w/ a 94+ Mustang F wheel bearing. You'll need Mustang rotors as well, and 99+ calipers and brackets.
For the rear, you need to remove TBird bearing, and install 99+ COBRA wheel bearings w/ Mustang rear rotors. Oviously you will then need 5 x 5.5" wheels as well.

5 X 5.5"?

acb92sc said:
If youre going to a Mustang bolt pattern....... Oviously you will then need 5 x 5.5" wheels as well.
Is that a typo, or did Ford change from their 5 x 4.5" pattern?

68COUGAR

This thread has some info:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52927&highlight=mustang+hub+swap

A search can turn up many more.

The spindles do not have to be swapped unless you want to change to the 'Stang style calipers and larger rotors.

The rear SC hubs can be redrilled for the 4.5" bolt pattern and 1/2" studs pressed in. The rear bearings are the same on the 'Stang and SC. You don't have to change bearings, but it is a good time to do so.

By wheel bearing, I think abc means hubs. You can buy a pair of SN95 front hubs with bearings in them for $100 a pair. You will have to remove your ABS rings and press them to the new hubs UNLESS you buy SN95 hubs with the ABS rings. You'll also need all new hub nuts for all four corners since they will loosen up if you reuse them.

Front hubs simply slide off after you remove the nut. Apply some grease and put the new ones one. You can also modify your stock brake rotors to fit by having the 4.5 inch bolt pattern drilled between your existing 4.25 pattern. The center bore will need enlarged slightly to fit over the new hubs. I had all four rotors redrilled for $90 and they fit to the stock calipers just fine. If you give the machine shop a SN95 hub and your rotos they should easily be able to modify them.

For the rear, I THINK 1999 ONLY Cobra hubs will fit. I think this was the only year that used 28 spline axles which is what we use. These hubs will need to be pressed on and off. You can get yours off with a slide hammer MAYBE. Mine were on pretty damn good so I had to remove both rear spindles and have a friend press the old hubs off. YOu can press the new hubs on via the hub nut which will slowly walk the new hub on.

I bought two used 1999 Cobra hubs for $100 and pressed em on as is. If you cannot find Cobra hubs you could have your stock rear hubs drilled for 4.5 inch (between the current pattern) and remove your old lug stems and press new ones into the new holes. This is what several guys did before 1999 :)

Also remember that SN95 lug nuts are different than MN12 lug nuts. New set is in order.

It's not too bad...I did my original swap for about $250. Later upgraded to Cobra brakes which is a BREEZE. Just mount the rotor and caliper.

Micah

All of the 99 - 04 Cobra rear hubs will work for the swap. They changed the spline count on the differential side of the axles only in 2001 model year.

Unless you're going to upgrade to Cobra rear rotors as well, it probably makes more sense to modify the MN-12 hubs for the new pattern, because of the difference in the hub pilot diameter between the MN-12 and Cobra rotors.

Also look here for more info:

http://www.patmedia.net/fraleigh/Article.html

cheers
Ed N.

This is all good info guys! I am going to be doing this swap soon and appreciate this big time.

Shane

Back