How can you tell if rear and has been changed???

sizemoremk

I am wondering how one would one go abuot figuring out if a rear has been swapped?

The rear is caked in dirt, I guess he lived on a dirt road, as there was dirt caked allover the bottom of the car, and I can find no tag....

Can I just put it in neutral and see how many times the driveshaft spins for a revolution of the tire?

If it is about 3.25 turns, it will be 3.27 and if it is 3.75 turns it will be 3.73???

I ask because my "parts" car (93 SC aod), the last time I drove it, seemed lighter and faster than my 35th (AOD also).... This was verified by anoter passenger, which I had drive in both vehicles back to back, just to see if he thught so as well....

I have read here, that the 3.73 make the car feel lighter and quicker... The 93 isn't modded other than a cervini ram air hood, as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

sizemoremk said:
Can I just put it in neutral and see how many times the driveshaft spins for a revolution of the tire?
That is probably the best and quickest way to get an answer. That is what the numbers mean.

Does having worn posi/limited slip change anything, other than making tires spin the opposite direction?

I haven't checked this, but I read where opposite spinnig tires means it isn't posi, or the posi is busted....

thanks!

Tach and Speedo

You can alway cruise down the street at a set speed and compare the RPM's.
Yes, if the tires spin in opposite directions then either the limited slip is completely gone or it is a standard differential.
It could also have traction assist instead of limited slip. (???).
Bill

Back