Tin-Knocker105

I guess i need new cats ( changed out 02 sensors) pics inside

Failed smog today..
NO was too high
15mph allowed 757 meas. 965
25mph allowed 696 meas 757

everything else was good
He let my 75mm BBK, and my Mac intake slide by

now i got to round up a couple new high-flow cats.

Last edited:
Tin-Knocker105 said:
Failed smog today..
NO was too high
15mph allowed 757 meas. 965
25mph allowed 696 meas 757

everything else was good
He let my 75mm BBK, and my Mac intake slide by

now i got to round up a couple new high-flow cats.
Nah...borrow someone's downtubes. Hell, Ron got his custom, if they let him keep the stockers, weld those in for the test and then put yours back on. Unless you wanted to upgrade anyway.

;)

It already has aftermarket cats on it. I pulled em off with the downtubes from my old 89 that got totaled, and put them on the current Car along with a Flowmaster kit i bought.

Tin-Knocker105 said:
It already has aftermarket cats on it. I pulled em off with the downtubes from my old 89 that got totaled, and put them on the current Car along with a Flowmaster kit i bought.
Did you get them nice and hot? The hotter the leaner the cleaner.

Maybe not...

From DMV:
NO (PPM): Oxides of nitrogen (more commonly called NOx) are odorless gases that help form smog, and give smog its characteristic brown color. NO is produced when temperatures in the combustion chambers exceed 2500 degrees Fahrenheit. Excessive engine temperatures could be caused by a lean fuel mixture, by retarded timing, by carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber, or by a malfunctioning engine cooling system. The function of the EGR System is to reduce NO. Unhealthy levels of NO emissions result in a vehicle failing its Smog Check. NO is measured in parts per million (PPM).

Does your car have EGR? If so, be sure it is operating properly. If those cats were bad I would expect all parameters to be high, not just NO's. How old are the O2 sensors? They are not lifetime parts as some folks think. NO's are the one measurement that is hurt by a hot motor and a lean mixture so be sure the fuel/cooling systems are doing their jobs. I am not in any way ruling out cats, but I think there may be other sources for your problem. New cats may be able to make the symptoms disappear but the underlying issue would still be present. What did all of the numbers look like?

Hang in there
Anthony

Here's the rest.
I'm running underdrive pulleys on this thing too. I might change out the O2 sensors just cause i want it running as well as it can anyway.

Attachments

• File0004.jpg
    File0004.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
OK i installed two new 02 sensors Bosch from PepBoys... AutoZone had them for $41.99 but not in stock. I asked PEPBOYS if they matched prices and they did so i got em for that price.
I must say that this was a very easy job... passengers side was less than 10 min including jacking the car up, and the drivers side was just as easy.
anyway here's a couple pics of the ones i took out.

Lets open the floor for comments

Attachments

• 100_0530.JPG
    100_0530.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_0532.JPG
    100_0532.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 100_0533.JPG
    100_0533.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Who did the smog check?

I didn't save any of the old cat stuff. I don't recall the hi-flo's costing that much. Magnaflo makes them and I believe the brand is Premium Sound or Premium Design....something like tha.
Who di your check?

I can get cats form Summit for a good price i was needing someone to make new down pipes and weld em in. When you got yours done Ron did you bring in your own cats or buy them from Magic?
I know these shops seem to want an arm and a leg to do any work. And i'm so damn cheap i have a hard time paying someone to do somthing i could do my self.

It was 50/50

I got the Resonator from Bill Evanoff and Magic had the cats I was looking for at a great price. I got the Cats, custom down-tubes and the install on the Res. for around 260-300, I can't remember. I used to do a little welding in my day, but I was recently after I had the leg blueprinted. I thught it was good for me. It doesn't hurt to ask what he wants for his stuff and then go from there.

Back