Electrical Problems?

micksix

I have a '93 SC that has developed a mystery problem. Sometimes for no reason it will not start and I can hear a clicking noise that sounds like it is coming from the back wheel well. It appears as if it has no juice at all. If I disconnect the negative battery cable and re-connect it, it usually starts right up. I cant seem to find a blown fuse or loose wire and the battery checks out ok.I haven't done anything to the car recently. Any suggestions? I'm stumped...

are you sure its coming from the back? someitmes when your car wont start and it just clicks, it turns out to be the ignition solenoid (right in back of the battery). its a 15 dolla rpart and easy to install.

al

Not start, or won't turn over?

Not start and a sound coming from the rear sounds like a fuel pump issue. Next time it won't start you should see if you hear the fuel pump start. It should start with key on after sitting for a bit as it tries to build pressure.

Won't turn over would mean noise from the front, not the back and is likely the relay for the starter.

It is usually a sign of the fuel pump, but it is always possible that something like the impact shut down switch is flakey or even the ignition switch.

Since the fuel pump isn't exactly easy to replace you may want to confirm all the other things.

I.E. Bad wires. Check all of the wires that lead to the fuel pump. Look for any frayed pieces or corroded connections. Replace any that look questionable. Then if you can duplicate the issue once, try to jumper 12 volts directly to the pump and see if it spins up. Could be an issue just with simple wiring.

That Click

I just had a similar problem, I had a short in my fuel pump wires, the damn mechanic ended up having to change the computer and a relay that supposedly fried after a while. I doubt your problem is the same as mine just don't get screwed like I did by a mechanic. Hey and that clicking you are hearing, I know exactly what you are talking about. It is in the rear deck, it is just some relay resetting, something to do with all the electronics that sit behind your seat. I doubt that is part of the issue because mine does that all the time. Good luck

Back