Raised Sc Top

X

xThunderbirdSCx

is a raised SC top an easy bolt on HP gainer? What needs to be changed to put the raised top on, or will all other stock parts work?

Yea it's a bolt on deal, just but try and find the teflon gasket set TBIRD88 was selling and use some copper RTV on the top where it goes to the SC. And anti-seize on the bolts... thats a must. You can get a cheap set of spanner wrenches at Harbor Freight Tools to ues to do the job.
I notice a little bit of extra power when i installed mine but nothing drastic.

I went with a 73 mm MAF and an Mac intake first. And i could really tell the difference. it's better for the car too, getting more air in. Third thing i did was cats and an exhaust ... really big difference, And sounds good too. Better for the car too... getting the exhaust out. I know tops are fairly cheap but i think it was les than $600 for the Flowmaster , and installation.

And one Last thing ...and i think most will agree you shouldn't put a 5% pulley on your car untill you fix your exhaust or you'll blow the head gaskets. And you can tripple the cost of everything when you rebuild these a motors, i know cause i got a close to $4000 shortblock sitting on a stand in my garage right now and i haven't even gotten to the heads yet.

Last edited:
But think about what it helps down the road. If you go to a MP2 blower, MP inlet plenum, 80mm TB, huge air intake tube, 90mm Lightning MAF, and overdrive the blower 10% you are sucking in a lot of air!!!!!! Now if you try to push it through a stock top you are going to run into a restriction. If you have the supporting mods, and a bigger IC, the top is worth much more than 5 hp. Some of you guys w/ mp2's dyno it, then put the stock top back on and dyno see how much has changed.

By itself the raised top isn't a big deal, but if you plan to modify the car to a further extent, its a vital upgrade to the intake system.

Although they are expensive, they do nothing but help an SC no matter what blower or what pulley you are running.

Back